BYC Café

@KDOGG331 sorry for the loss of your bird.

KDOG, sorry about your bird.
View attachment 1189611

I am so sorry. :hugs

:hugs

I am sorry for your loss!

Are the others fine? was it a predator?

I had one die last month. It is sad but look on the bright side, now you have room for more chickens

Thank you everyone! And clue, I like that picture! Ha

And Ron, yeah, the others all seem fine and it was most definitely a predator. I let them out and left which I never do :hit

It makes it worse cause, short version, I went outside to shut the gate and check them (I always count after free ranging) and noticed she was missing and was hoping she just hadn't made it back yet so I went around the yard looking for her and then I saw her laying there :hit

Anyway, longer version, when I checked, I noticed one on the roof and figured the rest were inside cause it was cold. Now I realize maybe they were scared. So anyway, I move her and look inside. Only 4 on the perches but I find the other 3 in the nest boxes. 2 crammed on top of each other in one lol and one alone. So I was REALLY hoping maybe she was just hiding under or between a chicken. Nope, she wasn't. But I checked several times and I also walked around their run with a flashlight over and over. It is a small 6x12 run and the coop is in the middle so it is pretty obvious immediately that she's not there but I guess I didn't want to believe it, I don't know. Anyway, after I walked around the run several times and checked and rechecked inside (even scaring them off the perch to accurately count), I then figured she was lost and perching somewhere and I thought I heard something in the woods, so I locked them in and went looking. I wandered around a bit, checked under the deck, bushes, etc. I was REALLY hoping she was still alive and if she was, I figured she wouldn't be in the morning unless I found her so I was going to try really hard to find her. Anyway, I'm walking along and then I see her laying there, feathers everywhere, neck bare, yellow stuff coming out of her neck. It was horrible :hit

Thank you everyone! And clue, I like that picture! Ha

And Ron, yeah, the others all seem fine and it was most definitely a predator. I let them out and left which I never do :hit

It makes it worse cause, short version, I went outside to shut the gate and check them (I always count after free ranging) and noticed she was missing and was hoping she just hadn't made it back yet so I went around the yard looking for her and then I saw her laying there :hit

Anyway, longer version, when I checked, I noticed one on the roof and figured the rest were inside cause it was cold. Now I realize maybe they were scared. So anyway, I move her and look inside. Only 4 on the perches but I find the other 3 in the nest boxes. 2 crammed on top of each other in one lol and one alone. So I was REALLY hoping maybe she was just hiding under or between a chicken. Nope, she wasn't. But I checked several times and I also walked around their run with a flashlight over and over. It is a small 6x12 run and the coop is in the middle so it is pretty obvious immediately that she's not there but I guess I didn't want to believe it, I don't know. Anyway, after I walked around the run several times and checked and rechecked inside (even scaring them off the perch to accurately count), I then figured she was lost and perching somewhere and I thought I heard something in the woods, so I locked them in and went looking. I wandered around a bit, checked under the deck, bushes, etc. I was REALLY hoping she was still alive and if she was, I figured she wouldn't be in the morning unless I found her so I was going to try really hard to find her. Anyway, I'm walking along and then I see her laying there, feathers everywhere, neck bare, yellow stuff coming out of her neck. It was horrible :hit
Oh sweetie, you need lots of hugs!:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

Chickens are awesome!
20171118_123135.jpg

Oh sweetie, you need lots of hugs!:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

Thank you!! It was awful when I found her and realized she wasn't coming back. I cried a lot and hugged the dog a lot hah he didn't care or notice at first maybe cause i was in another room but then I called him and he came running in. He didn't know what was happening but just sat there.

Still sad though!

What breeds do you want to try?

Yeah, finding her was the worst part because I thought she was still alive until then. Plus they didn't even eat her! :mad:

Anyway, I have a lot of breeds but mostly Wyandotte and Speckled Sussex. Or Partridge Rock. But I'm also considering Brahma or Cochin, Delaware, or Welsummer. And more color Orpingtons

Back
Top Bottom