Do you garden?

• No

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 459 95.8%
  • Have in the past

Votes: 11 2.3%

• Total voters
Mary will you be adding side rails of some sort to keep your basket's from getting knocked over from the wind? I saw some on the RGGS that have added rails for support.

chicka, We know we will have to do something to prevent the wind from blowing the planters off the two short sides...just not sure what. You can see we put the cattle panel A-frame over the longest section and we're hoping that does the trick for those.
IMG_0096.JPG

chicka, We know we will have to do something to prevent the wind from blowing the planters off the two short sides...just not sure what. You can see we put the cattle panel A-frame over the longest section and we're hoping that does the trick for those.
View attachment 556411

Please forgive me NotAFarm I don't see to well. Now that you said it's there I do see it.
:smackMy Dh is always telling me I can't see. lol

Hi All! Starting my first garden this year!! Using a raised bed style to hopefully keep my one dog out of the veggies and dirt! Any advice?

You could do a raised garden box or two and hopefully that will keep him out.
I had one that I used for a couple of years till we built this water bed.
You can grow quite a bit in a small area. :lol:

Purchased our weed screen finally! Also got baby cukes and bell pepper starts to put in. Today's garden work, so leveling the ground and staking the screening is priority. Then we'll plant the starts and put in our crops. Black corn this year, super hype!

This year I'm trying potato towers instead of a large section like I've done in years prior. This way I can hopefully increase yield a bit and make it easier to dig up when I'm like 8 months pregnant. I'm also doing some trellis work to get the cukes, peas, and other climbers to go vertical. We're planting pumpkins again, as well as watermelon and possibly butternut squash. We're also doing reno on the small room that houses the water works for the property; since it stays pretty consistent in temp throughout the year it'll become a part-time root veggie storage. It'll be nice to actually enjoy my potato and carrot harvests this year since the baby will make it difficult to travel in December.

Hi everyone! I'm having serious issues with my cucumber plants this year. The leaves are yellowish/white and kind of become see through. The stems look dull and a bit wilted. I haven't found any evidence of aphids, cucumber beetles, or spider mites but I'm not 100% sure. I just started putting insectidail soap on but I'm not sure what the problem is and how to fix it. See attached photo please!

Attachments

• IMG_8463.PNG
    IMG_8463.PNG
    840.2 KB · Views: 7
Looks like spider mite infestation to me. Look at the underside of the leaves. SM are nearly invisible, but you can see them if you have good eyes. You might need a magnifying glass. You can also see their webs which are very very fine. What are you using for fertilizer? Any chance that you have over fertilized? Newly transplanted? Could be transplant shock. Sun scorch from transplant shock and sun damage combined?

Looks like spider mite infestation to me. Look at the underside of the leaves. SM are nearly invisible, but you can see them if you have good eyes. You might need a magnifying glass. You can also see their webs which are very very fine. What are you using for fertilizer? Any chance that you have over fertilized? Newly transplanted? Could be transplant shock. Sun scorch from transplant shock and sun damage combined?

Thank you! They are recently transplanted and we've (PA) had pretty hot/sunny weather lately. I'll have to check the underside for webs/spider mites. Right now I throw Preen on as a fertilizer/weed preventer. Is this good/bad? Is there an alternative/best method to get rid of spider mites?

I've never used preen, so can't advise there. Any liquid soap mix should do the trick. Do a google search on home made spider mite treatment. I use permethrin. They are soft bodied, so just about anything knocks them down. But, you have to get to the underside of the leaves, and all of the nooks and crannies where they hide out.

Folks that grow comfrey -
Is the traditional seed comfrey really hugely hard to keep from taking over the world? I know I can get the root kind, but I'm wondering if it has the same medicinal properties as the seeded kind.

Back
Top Bottom