Should BYC Have It's Own, Easy To Use Genetic Calculator?

• Yes, great idea!

Votes: 192 86.9%
  • No, waste of time...

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Yes, and I can offer help!

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Yes, but with some adjustments to the original post...

Votes: 7 3.2%

• Total voters
Yes I get what you mean. It just needs all the templates put together. Any constraints that have come up I should know about like a certain programming language or format? JSON comes to mind for this, not very noisy compared to other markup configuration languages, but perhaps another format may be better somehow.
I remember someone saying something about it needing to eventually end up in a certain folder whose name escapes me. Essentially, they want to integrate it into the website. The forum currently runs on XF1 and will be converted to XF2 probably in fall.

@CarpCharacin is a great person to ask about this. He probably has a better clue than me.

I remember someone saying something about it needing to eventually end up in a certain folder whose name escapes me. Essentially, they want to integrate it into the website. The forum currently runs on XF1 and will be converted to XF2 probably in fall.

@CarpCharacin is a great person to ask about this. He probably has a better clue than me.
Ah thanks for the info. I figured it was eventually going to be integrated to BYC but wasn't sure if there was anything special to it. Good to know the forum engine though. Did a quick search on it. (Oh great, commercial software. :he:barnie Sorry, FOSS nut here.) I am not sure how much that will be relevant to my part but hopefully as close to none as possible. Although it does give me some direction on how things should be handled on the backend and some of the middle end sides of the calculator. I'll see what I can come up with.

Hmmm. Yes having it look and feel like part of the site would definitely be great and ideal. I don't think I will be able to fully integrate the calculator to a XF page. What I can do though is some perlimenary vanilla (un XenForum) UI just for testing things pre-integration. Who knows though, maybe some miracle will happen and I will be able to do the whole integration. Maybe if I could find adequate docs for how to write XF pages I could at least start. Then there is the issue of who would be hosting it pre-release. If I could allow my part of it to be open source it could make testing a bit easier to have happen.

I wish I really understood all of the jargon here 'cause it's fascinating to follow. I understand just enough to get myself in trouble. No need to explain things, I just thought you all might like to know that we peons out here really appreciate all the thought and planning that's going into this project ... and the peripheral education we're getting. Thanks!

At first I thought it would be best if it could be embedded in a simple XF page node, but since that might not be possible, I think it would be best if it was kept separate from the forum software, we definitely don't want it to have the potential to cause problems with the forum software. I also think it's best to not overcomplicate things, the more complex something is the more likely something is to go wrong.

Thanks a bunch for the documentation. I agree that over complicating it with all of the forum goodies and building from the ground up may make things go wrong and would definitely make them a tad slower. It will take a while to get through but I am starting to see this thing as being ready to happen! The wordpress plugin might be helpful too.:wee:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom