CA: Ponape and Raraku Pairs, Trios, Quartets

sjango

Songster
6 Years
May 2, 2017
San Diego County, California
I am offering limited numbers of Raraku and Ponape adolescents and adults again this year with local pick up or shipping within California. Both of these unique fowl were brought to the islands of Pohnpei and Rapa Nui by ancient seafaring peoples and allied with their respective cultures. During the colonial period European tradesmen brought foundry stock back to Europe and they have been kept in various forms by poultry fanciers since. Some of these initial exports were used in the creation of various Dutch Bantam breeds. Both landraces carry with them an incredible cultural and historic legacy!

Raraku are a landrace fowl from Easter Island. They are bantam in size and lay eggs in an array of colors including blue, green and white. Raraku are hardy and alert making them very thrifty and great free rangers. The roosters are wonderful flock protectors and the hens make great mothers. I have also experienced great disease resistance from both my Raraku and Ponape. These are very aware birds who take cover at the first sign of danger but they have been excellent birds and have never shown any aggression. In general Ponape are larger than Raraku and usually have beard-muffs and some individuals have lightly feathered legs. Ponape hens lay white or tinted eggs and also make great broodies and mothers. They are generally very pleasant and enjoy hanging around as we do yard work and are less flighty than the Raraku on average. Like the Raraku Ponape are predator savvy and disease resistant.

IMG_7343.PNG

closer.jpg

IMG_2196.JPG

Some of the birds in the Ponape breeding pens this year.
IMG-0279.jpg

Ponape eggs.

IMG-9512.jpg

IMG-0761.jpg

Some of the birds in the Raraku breeding pens this year.
IMG-0273.jpg

Raraku eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom