Cackle Hatchery?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GwenFarms, Feb 26, 2008.

1. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    I've ordered my chicks from Cackle Hatchery this year for the first time. I went with them because they have the Golden Comets that I love. The shipping was slightly cheaper than McMurray too. When I first placed the order I was told they would ship out around the 25th. As the 25th got closer, I never heard from them, so I called to check, I was told that there had been some big ice storm in the area that set them behind, it would now be March 10 before my order was sent out. Things like this happen, but I would have appreciated a call, or email atleast. A neighbor and I ordered together, all total we ordered over a hundred birds. These are our pullets, we had planned to order another hundred heavy meat birds if this order goes well.

The company seems to have a good reputation. Has anyone else used this hatchery and what was your experience like?

2. Big_Charlie

Big_Charlie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2008
    Fulton, KY
    Our local Rural King gets their chicks from Cackle. I was just talking to one of the guys there this morning who told me that out of 1500 chicks they have so far received, only 5 have died. Not a bad ratio... All the ones that I saw looked pretty healthy, except for one that had spent too long away from the heat lamps and got cold and sluggish.

3. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I ordered from Cackle last year in June, got my order in July.
    Chicks were all alive and healthy.
    I would definitely order from them again.

4. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    WONDERFUL! Love them. They have great birds.

Here is a Buff Orpington from Cackle:

[​IMG]

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Just got the feedstore price list on monday (they order through cackle), I will be avoiding the place while the chicks are there.
    We got our Royals/Blue Slates from Cackle (through feedstore) two years ago - birds are doing great.
    They answer their phone and will try to answer questions. No problem yet.

6. Ilikechickens!

Ilikechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    COLARADO
    Has anyone ordered turkeys from Cackle? I hope you've had good experience. [​IMG]

7. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I believe the post above you is in regards to Turkeys.

8. stilwellchick

stilwellchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2007
    Stilwell, KS
    Ordered from Cackle last Spring, BRs, BOs, Cinnamon Queen, RIR. All very healthy good looking birds. I would order from them again.

9. chickenshow

chickenshow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    i Live 20 mins from cackle hatchery they r a great hatchery they also have some very decent birds we have got 4 ice/ snow storms this year!!!

10. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    I just got the Hatchery Surprise - 50 chicks and not one DOA

they are all doing well and look awesome so far-I am really impressed with the White Crested Black Polish they are so cute -It is just a pile of color ---and so far Cackle is the only hatchery I cannot tell how the Customer Service is Yipee !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by