California - Northern

I posted this last night...  any suggestions on what might be ailing this lethargic chick?  They are on medicated feed and have electrolytes in their water.  
Did you dip his beak in the water to show him? Sometimes the last ones to hatch are just lazy longer. They need a little rest, and sometimes they just don't make it :(

Quote: I posted this last night... any suggestions on what might be ailing this lethargic chick? They are on medicated feed and have electrolytes in their water.
So sorry to have missed your post!

Give it a drop of Poli-Vi-Sol baby vitamins without iron. Put the drop on the beak and it get it to drink it. Give it another drop in the evening.

Make sure it does not have iron in it. See if you can get it to eat some cooked oat meal and or a bit of scrambled egg and make sure it is drinking water. If it perks up, give it a chick vitamin like save-a-chick for a couple of days and stop the baby vitamin.

You should check for pasty butt over the next several days too.

fl.gif
I hope it perks us soon!

Where's the best place to show everyone all my new babes? I could make my own thread, but I wanna show all my local peeps but also don't want to photo own this thread? Heres a sneak peek:
Scarlett, It was really nice meeting you the other day... Great pictures... You are very Talented.... Molly

Last edited:
Mornin'!
I hope everybody is well today. I picked up a few rescue birds from my aunt the other day because she was moving. She said they are Black "Ostrolorps" <~ I know that's not right :)
lau.gif

They are pictured below, along with the light mauve-colored eggs I'm getting from them.... They don't look like pics of BA's I've seen & the one in the middle has a totally different head & a lot more yellow...she looks like an EE cross to me, but I'm no expert. These ladies are WILD!!! I have them separated from the other ladies & I finally was able to examine them & clip wings yesterday. I was so irritated to see how their wings had been butchered by my aunt's husband :( 2 of their crops are raw with missing feathers, but intact skin- I sprayed them with Vetericyn.
Otherwise they seem ok besides their ultra thin shells. They are loving the oyster shells right now.
Questions: What the heck are they breed-wise?
Question: How long do I keep them separated from the flock?
Question: What approach do I take when integrating? 1 per night so they can adapt or all at once? They have attitude & my girls are very mellow. I don't want any injuries.
THANKS!!!!!
Top lady with yellow is TUDI!!! Her name was Butters, but the fight she gave me last night earned her a name with attiTUDE!!
barnie.gif
The one on bottom is Lucy (used to be Beyonce) & the one on right was Aretha, but is now Ella :)

Top egg- small & light pinkish-mauve
They look to me like Dark Cornish mixes.
Where's the best place to show everyone all my new babes? I could make my own thread, but I wanna show all my local peeps but also don't want to photo own this thread?

Heres a sneak peek:

Adorable!

Ok one more. Ill post more after work :) this is Brawny. She's a blue Orpington we got from MissMolly.
Especially love this picture!

They look to me like Dark Cornish mixes.
Adorable!
Especially love this picture!
Happy Chooks, is it normal for the Welsummer eggs to lighten up in color? Ginger was laying a deep rust egg with tiny speckles -which I loved. Lately her eggs have lightened to light rust/light brown with larger rust speckles?
hu.gif

Quote:
Quote: I posted this last night... any suggestions on what might be ailing this lethargic chick? They are on medicated feed and have electrolytes in their water.

Give it a drop of Poli-Vi-Sol baby vitamins without iron. Put the drop on the beak and it get it to drink it. Give it another drop in the evening.

Make sure it does not have iron in it. See if you can get it to eat some cooked oat meal and or a bit of scrambled egg and make sure it is drinking water. If it perks up, give it a chick vitamin like save-a-chick for a couple of days and stop the baby vitamin.

fl.gif
I hope it perks us soon!
Thanks for the tips. I did dip his beak in the water, a few times! I have seen him eating so maybe he has more energy today than yesterday, just not as much as the other chicks. I will get the baby vitamins and do some scrambled egg/oatmeal. I've been putting drops of the save-a-chick water in his mouth throughout the day. Is it too much if their water source has the save-a-chick and I give this one the poli-vi-sol?

Quote:

fl.gif
I hope it perks us soon!
Thanks for the tips. I did dip his beak in the water, a few times! I have seen him eating so maybe he has more energy today than yesterday, just not as much as the other chicks. I will get the baby vitamins and do some scrambled egg/oatmeal. I've been putting drops of the save-a-chick water in his mouth throughout the day. Is it too much if their water source has the save-a-chick and I give this one the poli-vi-sol?
I would give the chick a drop tonight and another tomorrow--until it perks up. It sounds like it will be just fine!

Scarlett,
It was really nice meeting you the other day...
Great pictures... You are very Talented.... Molly

You too! Thanks! I could spend a whole day shooting photos at your place! It's like Chicken Disneyland!
D.gif
Can't believe I didn't bring my camera, lol! I'm actually thinking about sending you a print of your chicka chicks
big_smile.png

Alright, you asked for it...

Disclaimer:

The images posted below have an acute overdose of cuteness. Some side-effects may ensue, including but not limited to: Exclamations of, 'It's o fluffy I could die', 'Awwwwwwwwe', and prolonged staring.

These two are Olive Eggers, yet to be named.

Brawny, the Blue Orpington

Babs, the light Brahma

Blu, our other Blue Orpington.

00a9.png
Scarlett T. Preuitt

And this is where they live:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom