California - Northern

..... and some more chickens! These are a friends' birds. I call their rooster, "The Fonz". He makes this cluck as if he's saying, "hey, hey...." when he's keeping an eye on his ladies. I think he is a Delaware?

Don't know what this hen is.

The Fonz

And this is one of four of their sweet baby goats :)

Okay, that's the end of the photobombing.... at least until I get the last two chicks in front of my lens :)

Alright, you asked for it...

Disclaimer:

The images posted below have an acute overdose of cuteness. Some side-effects may ensue, including but not limited to: Exclamations of, 'It's o fluffy I could die', 'Awwwwwwwwe', and prolonged staring.

These two are Olive Eggers, yet to be named.

Brawny, the Blue Orpington

Babs, the light Brahma

Blu, our other Blue Orpington.

00a9.png
Scarlett T. Preuitt

And this is where they live:

Come by anytime... Bring your Caera! I would love for you to take picture of my chickens ;)
Love all the Pictures... Im so glad to see you are enjoying the chicks so much..

Last edited:
I have a question about incubating. I'm using the Genesis 1580 and I think the hygrometer is way off. I'm calibrating the new one I got and it's been about four hours with the air-tight salt method and it's saying 75, but it was reading almost 15 degrees higher than the incubator's hygrometer, which I was trusting more. So anyway, it's only day three but the eggs have had around sixty percent humidity if I'm calculating right, except for last night when it went down to about 30 due to the water running out. That was with trough one filled. I need to figure out what I'm going to do and hope the rest goes better than these first days have (although temp has been a 99.5-100 consistently). Right now I have half trough one covered with foil and am watching to see how much that changes things, but what should do? Take the water out? Ignore the troughs and get some of those little tupperware things Ron posted a picture of? Keep half trough one covered? Let it ride with trough one?
barnie.gif

such beautiful pictures!

and i'm tentatively excited, as i think Eleanor the basque hen might just be broody! she spent a lot more time than usual this weekend in one particular nesting box, while everyone else was out free-ranging -- and this morning she was in the same box, and when i got home from campus this afternoon she was the last one out of the coop, and the eggs in that particular nest were nice and warm -- she stayed out for about 20 minutes, eating and drinking very fast -- since the others all ran off to free-range, and she kept hanging close to the coop, i was able to sneak her some extra treats, a good handful of black oil sunflower seeds (are there any foods in particular one should try to feed a broody?) -- and when one of the cats ambled by near the coop, she chased it with an intense vitriol i haven't seen before. she then snacked a bit more on some oyster shell and went right back in to her nest.

so excited! will have to check if she stays in the nest tonight...

..... and some more chickens! These are a friends' birds. I call their rooster, "The Fonz". He makes this cluck as if he's saying, "hey, hey...." when he's keeping an eye on his ladies. I think he is a Delaware?

Okay, that's the end of the photobombing.... at least until I get the last two chicks in front of my lens :)
Incredible pictures!

I have a question about incubating. I'm using the Genesis 1580 and I think the hygrometer is way off. I'm calibrating the new one I got and it's been about four hours with the air-tight salt method and it's saying 75, but it was reading almost 15 degrees higher than the incubator's hygrometer, which I was trusting more. So anyway, it's only day three but the eggs have had around sixty percent humidity if I'm calculating right, except for last night when it went down to about 30 due to the water running out. That was with trough one filled. I need to figure out what I'm going to do and hope the rest goes better than these first days have (although temp has been a 99.5-100 consistently). Right now I have half trough one covered with foil and am watching to see how much that changes things, but what should do? Take the water out? Ignore the troughs and get some of those little tupperware things Ron posted a picture of? Keep half trough one covered? Let it ride with trough one?
barnie.gif
What kind of hygrometer were you calibrating? I am asking because I have found that the quality of the hygrometer matters very much. I was going insane with 5 analog hygrometers I had, they would all calibrate using the salt method but read anywhere from 25-60% afterwards.

barnie.gif
It will be ok!

use the little storage cups when the humidity goes down in a couple of days.

Good job calibrating!

such beautiful pictures!

and i'm tentatively excited, as i think Eleanor the basque hen might just be broody! she spent a lot more time than usual this weekend in one particular nesting box, while everyone else was out free-ranging -- and this morning she was in the same box, and when i got home from campus this afternoon she was the last one out of the coop, and the eggs in that particular nest were nice and warm -- she stayed out for about 20 minutes, eating and drinking very fast -- since the others all ran off to free-range, and she kept hanging close to the coop, i was able to sneak her some extra treats, a good handful of black oil sunflower seeds (are there any foods in particular one should try to feed a broody?) -- and when one of the cats ambled by near the coop, she chased it with an intense vitriol i haven't seen before. she then snacked a bit more on some oyster shell and went right back in to her nest.

so excited! will have to check if she stays in the nest tonight...
woot.gif
That sounds like a Broody!

I missed responding to the "who's going to Red Bluff" this weekend. I am, I am! I'm going to pick up my FCBM rooster from debs_flock!
celebrate.gif
Is there a link for this show?

He'll even be freshly bathed..........since he's entered
big_smile.png

http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Nor_Cal_Poultry_Association_Show.html

Quote:
That's why I bought the 380, I was afraid the 190 would be too small, LOL

Don't know what this hen is. Looks like a black sex link probably.

The Fonz Appears to be an EE.

What kind of hygrometer were you calibrating? I am asking because I have found that the quality of the hygrometer matters very much. I was going insane with 5 analog hygrometers I had, they would all calibrate using the salt method but read anywhere from 25-60% afterwards.
It's the IncuTherm Plus from Incubator Warehouse. Here's there picture of it:

It will be ok!

use the little storage cups when the humidity goes down in a couple of days.

Good job calibrating!
Thanks Ron! So, just to be clear, use only the storage cups? And you said two of them? What do you recommend for inside them; cotton or sponge or something else entirely? Thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom