California - Northern

So does anyone favor sprouting for their hens instead of throwing seeds or fermenting. I sprout for the family and thought it would be thrifty to increase my sprout jars over the winter when the bales if alfalfa just get slimy I. The snow?

I do sprout sometimes. There is a whole thread on it. (surprise)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...prouts-to-feed-the-chickens/550#post_11812443

There is another on Fodder systems that would work great for larger amount of chickens.

there are pros and cons on both. If the straw gets wet there might be more of a chance of Black Mold.

I use pine shavings and nest pads.
Well good to know about that black mold. I sometimes used the Timothy Hay because the used to like to scratch round in it and eat some of it.

You know I need to actually make some nest boxes now..... I don't think I am going to do the outside ones. I just don't have the stamina for that right now and if I have to move I really won't have the stamina..... I might get lucky and have someone laying in the next 3-4 weeks. Maybe the Orps.
fl.gif

Last edited:
Whenever I need to catch a hen, for whatever reason, I usually have Nelly help me. If I try and fail to catch the one I want, they all go hide under the coop or run away, so I bring in the stockdog and she rounds up the one I want. It has saved me a lot of time, really. And, like she is with all livestock, she's never been anything but respectful towards the hens. The hens are not scared of her, not at all.

I LOVE Nellie!
love.gif
You have done a wonderful job training her.

As for that hen, you could discipline her like some people do with aggressive roosters. I've never had a hen like that, but my dog will pick up a naughty rooster, give him a shake and send him flying to teach him respect.

Quote:
Livestock always has to learn that the dog is in charge, usually an especially stubborn ewe will be nipped or gripped, I'm just afraid to let Nelly do this to the hen. Nipping would not hurt her, but gripping would.

&Thank you! I have fostered many dogs, including problem dogs like my current foster boy(you'll see him circling the chicken run in the video, trying to get at my hens), so I have a lot of experience in training dogs!
Nelly is very well trained, I've spent a lot of time working with her.
smile.png

Last edited:
Yes, they do kill people. One stalked a jogger up by Auburn, killed her and buried her in the leaf mold about 10 years or so ago.
Do you have to get a permit or does the Trapper?

that must have been a mountain lion, not a bobcat -- even a big bobcat isn't big enough to kill an adult human.

We have a bob cat too. This is the second one. We had the first one trapped and taken off the property, then a few weeks later this one showed up. My hubs and his friends were on the hunt a couple weeks ago and shot at it with a pellet gun and all was quiet for two weeks. Last night it showed up again around midnight I heard the birds and ran outside. There it was sitting on a fallen tree staring into the coop getting ready. I yelled and threw rocks at it, which seemed to work till about 1am and it was back. Once again, I'm out in the yard in my Jammies armed with my iPhone and a handful of rocks. I scared it off again and was able to sleep through the rest of the night. I know it will keep coming back till we trap it again. No free ranging till this guy is caught. I have lost so many of my girls to these predators. I do not want to lose anymore.

and this story is part of why i'm not going to try to trap or shoot "my" bobcat -- because even when one is trapped and removed, if the "food source" is there, it's only a matter of time before another one shows up. everyone's of course free to make their own decisions, but it's not clear to me that removing an individual animal really solves anything?

Looks like I'll have 8.26 acres in 30 days, as escrow opened today.
:weee
Given that the other purchase was a day-and-a-half into escrow when it got cancelled, I am not quite yet at the giddy stage.

There has been some drama with this "counter-offer and afterthought" process, as well. I can't quite decide if the seller is a jerk or an idiot. (My broker referred to him as the former appellation.)

The concrete bench he wants, by the waterfall, is, well, made of cast concrete. Have fun getting it up the hillside. It has two faint cracks on the bench portion; I would be surprised if the thing could be retrieved in one piece. The stone fish he wants is quite nice; the price tag is still adhering to it:: $39.95.

The kicker? They want the key-pad operated, electric, decorative wrought iron driveway gate. It's obviously custom made, 16 feet wide and probably weighs 350 pounds. I happened to be standing at the gate with a friend when I got that phone call. The friend does metal-work; he suggested I offer a grand for the gate. Nope, the wife wants it.

My friend rolled his eyes as he stage-whispered, "We can build you a better one, Linda - let it go."

After the telephone conversation was concluded, he added, "You'll be able to put any decoration, not just grapes, on a gate - we'll go to [a business in Sacramento] and you can see the catalog of all this stuff. Horses, dolphins, quail, ivy, Rottweilers, anything - you can have chickens."

Oh. Well. Cool. I wonder how the seller is gonna manage to remove and transport his gate.

I have requested I be notified the day the gate is removed, so I can get a danged chain to put across the driveway.

So, as long as the well flow report comes back with at least 5 gpm potable water, all the dickering is done.

Back
Top Bottom