California - Northern

So good to hear that your girl seems to have turned the corner. We've only had hatchery polish but they have proven to be a handful since our flocks are mixed and the big birds are so bossy.

School started for DD today, she called from bus stop to say there was no one at either stop. When I called the bus company they told me there is a new driver and she was at least 15 minutes behind. I'm going to guess Mariah didn't have the best day. At least she is mostly over the cold she has shared with us, unlike DH and I.

While in Salem for fair we found a breeder of Parlor Roller pigeons. It is really strange to handle a pigeon and not have to worry about them flying away. DD was able to get a breeding pair, I'll have to get her to share a picture with me. They don't crow but they are mainly white.

Well...after missing out on all the conversation for the past week while we switched ISP's......I see you guys have been super busy!

I will try to catch up over the next few days.

On to chicken news.......we have a broody. What the heck! Bella, our Partridge wyandotte has only been laying for a month! We have been throwing her off of the nest, but she is determined. If I had the space for more chickens I would throw some eggs under her. We throw her off and she comes right back, we put things in her nest and she just moves to another. We are thinking we will have to build a "broody breaker".

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Watch the thrift stores. That's where I get all the pet carriers that I use for hauling birds to the shows. They work great and you can usually get them for $5 or less.
Man that is a deal!

All my bantam Polish have come from breeders and I have never had problems with crest picking. They were even hatched and raised with (until the rooster chicks got too rowdy) bossy, LF BLRW chicks. They have attitude though and stand up for themselves. Maybe yours is too submissive? Glad she is doing better!
Well she is a LF Polish from Just Struttin' Funny I thought I wouldn't have any problems because I have 3 of them but one day her crest got wet in the misters and the other chickens thought they looked extra tasty or something. Now they won't leave the new growth alone. So I dyed her head and I am sure her brain. That is some serious dye.

Well...after missing out on all the conversation for the past week while we switched ISP's......I see you guys have been super busy!

I will try to catch up over the next few days.

On to chicken news.......we have a broody. What the heck! Bella, our Partridge wyandotte has only been laying for a month! We have been throwing her off of the nest, but she is determined. If I had the space for more chickens I would throw some eggs under her. We throw her off and she comes right back, we put things in her nest and she just moves to another. We are thinking we will have to build a "broody breaker".

One benefit to having no one lay yet is that I have no broodies to break.

Thought I would post some pictures of my very rare colored Khaki Quail d'Anver pair. I love this breed!

Those are an interesting looking bird. Quail d' Anver is a chicken right? Why do they name it Quail? Same thing with Tuna right? Chicken of the Sea? Chicken or Tuna????
lau.gif

Last edited:

I will try to catch up  over the next few days.

On to chicken news.......we have a broody. What the heck! Bella, our Partridge wyandotte has only been laying for a month! We have been throwing her off of the nest, but she is determined. If I had the space for more chickens I would throw some eggs under her. We throw her off and she comes right back, we put things in her nest and she just moves to another. We are thinking we will have to build a "broody breaker".

Mossy have her raise chicks for meeeee!! Im sure some of these silkie eggs will hatch.

Man that is a deal!

Well she is a LF Polish from Just Struttin'  Funny I thought I wouldn't have any problems because I have 3 of them but one day her crest got wet in the misters and the other chickens thought they looked extra tasty or something.  Now they won't leave the new growth alone.  So I dyed her head and I am sure her brain.  That is some serious dye.

One benefit to having no one lay yet is that I have no broodies to break.

Those are an interesting looking bird.  Quail d' Anver is a chicken right?  Why do they name it Quail?  Same thing with Tuna right?  Chicken of the Sea?  Chicken or Tuna????:lau

Quail is a color. It gets me every time. Those are beautiful little sweet peas too! Look like puffins.

Back
Top Bottom