California - Northern

I posted earlier that I was putting rat traps out in my bantam run at night. The first night 1 of the traps was sprung but no rat.

We just got back from town and I went out to close up the coops. I went in reverse order tonight and was surprised with what I saw eating from the feeder. It is a skunk not rats that is cruising the run at night. Looks like I need a bigger trap, there's no way it is going to fit in my little squirrel trap!

I'm so glad it can't get into the coop! Just to make sure I'll toss a cracked egg in the run.
You also need a trapper to get the skunk out....

Well I might be able to get the body in the trap if I used a shoe horn and lots of Crisco,
Here in Woodland the Tractor Supply Center has a large have a heart trap on sale.

The trick is to cover the trap with a tarp so that when the skunk sprays it hits the tarp. You should need a lot less Dawn and Baking Soda then.

sickbyc.gif

I posted earlier that I was putting rat traps out in my bantam run at night. The first night 1 of the traps was sprung but no rat.

We just got back from town and I went out to close up the coops. I went in reverse order tonight and was surprised with what I saw eating from the feeder. It is a skunk not rats that is cruising the run at night. Looks like I need a bigger trap, there's no way it is going to fit in my little squirrel trap!

I'm so glad it can't get into the coop! Just to make sure I'll toss a cracked egg in the run.
Lucky you! Glad you learned the ID of your predator the easy way. Not that I envy you having to trap it. That shrunk reminds me the neighbors are wondering if my chickens are the reasons we have skunks around. Not even thinking that skunks are always around, but this year is bad. I patiently explained we build maximum security lock up coop and run and used hardware cloth over/under/around. And all feed is secured. Sweet lady was sounding me out, one who has a doggie door into her garage with open feeding dog food. I didn't wish to sound defensive, but if their German Pointer can use that access, so can the neighborhood population of skunks. I suggested perhaps some neighbors were leaving cat food out and inadvertently feeding skunks. She did not seem convinced. She thinks my chickens arrival coincides with the skunk boom. So much for good poultry PR, sigh.

Question - in 16 days Ting has laid 13 little bantam sized eggs. Twice she laid 2 in one day. Once she laid a double yolk. Could she keep up this pace? We are totally amazed at this production from a little being. She hatched 23 weeks ago (4/16). Have layer feed, crushed eggshells, and treats available. She devours tender new grape leaves. Is there anything else I should be giving her to keep her healthy? So far, she looks good. Thanks.

Here in Woodland the Tractor Supply Center has a large have a heart trap on sale.

The trick is to cover the trap with a tarp so that when the skunk sprays it hits the tarp. You should need a lot less Dawn and Baking Soda then.

:sick
I can get a bigger trap and I have the trap ready to go. I think my neighbor will even put it down for me for a few dozen eggs. Only problem is that he's a teacher and doesn't get home until late afternoon. I smelled it earlier this afternoon but couldn't find it.

Yeah, I meant to type tarp but typed trap instead. When dealing the "stink kitties" it does make a big difference. Some friends of ours learned that lesson the hard way.

Quote: If its been there for very long it probably has dried up. It won't stink or explode any more. When they do psyanki eggs they don't take the insides out because you can't put a hole in the shell. They just let them dry out. If you haven't heated the egg and it has been kept in a cool dry place it probably is dry now. Think of dehydrated eggs, that's what it will do. You probably wont be able to blow anything out if its dried.

I kept a few fart eggs on my windowsill - not blown out - and they are much lighter now. I had one fart egg from a bantam that lays small eggs anyway - that thing was tiny - I was wondering where the tinted quail egg came from!

Back
Top Bottom