California - Northern

Quote: I made a trap for skunks when they were coming in after my chicken's eggs. I took a rubber garbage can and put it on top of a pile of dirt at a steep angle. The dirt pile allowed the skunk to walk up and into the can - but it couldn't get grip to get back out. Once it was in I tipped the can upright. Skunks can only spray at or above their tail level, with the lid on there was no way it could spray me.

If its been there for very long it probably has dried up. It won't stink or explode any more. When they do psyanki eggs they don't take the insides out because you can't put a hole in the shell. They just let them dry out. If you haven't heated the egg and it has been kept in a cool dry place it probably is dry now. Think of dehydrated eggs, that's what it will do. You probably wont be able to blow anything out if its dried.

I kept a few fart eggs on my windowsill - not blown out - and they are much lighter now. I had one fart egg from a bantam that lays small eggs anyway - that thing was tiny - I was wondering where the tinted quail egg came from!
The one that is a year old should be fine. I would blow out future eggs though. The ones I have had here have had liquid in them. The little bitty eggs are very cute.

100% on my first serama hatch.
bun.gif
So soothing after some disastrous hatches. Just a tad of an assist and all looks well! Now to see who ends up being frizzle
tongue.png
Congrats!

I posted earlier that I was putting rat traps out in my bantam run at night. The first night 1 of the traps was sprung but no rat.

We just got back from town and I went out to close up the coops. I went in reverse order tonight and was surprised with what I saw eating from the feeder. It is a skunk not rats that is cruising the run at night. Looks like I need a bigger trap, there's no way it is going to fit in my little squirrel trap!

I'm so glad it can't get into the coop! Just to make sure I'll toss a cracked egg in the run.
Uh oh. Geez I hate skunks.

If you are going for a skunk COVER THE TRAP before you get it. Covering it after is... Not wise.
lol.png
at how you came by this knowledge.

I made a trap for skunks when they were coming in after my chicken's eggs. I took a rubber garbage can and put it on top of a pile of dirt at a steep angle. The dirt pile allowed the skunk to walk up and into the can - but it couldn't get grip to get back out. Once it was in I tipped the can upright. Skunks can only spray at or above their tail level, with the lid on there was no way it could spray me.

Very clever!
thumbsup.gif
Luckily nothing can get into my chicken yard with hot wire top and bottom so I won't have to try this
lol.png

Quote: On debs recommendation, I just left mine. They just dry out. I can rattle one but they just dry out. I love mine.

Quote: Or you can just shoot them yourself.

Quote: I made a trap for skunks when they were coming in after my chicken's eggs. I took a rubber garbage can and put it on top of a pile of dirt at a steep angle. The dirt pile allowed the skunk to walk up and into the can - but it couldn't get grip to get back out. Once it was in I tipped the can upright. Skunks can only spray at or above their tail level, with the lid on there was no way it could spray me.
Wow, that's a LOT of work! Have-A-Heart traps them easily and you don't have to wait around.....knowing me I'd slip while I was turning the darn thing over on them and the skunk would spray me and wattle off! We (and when I say we, I mean my husband
lau.gif
) trap them overnight. Shoot them in the morning and dispose of them when he gets home at night. He doesn't cover the trap. Just walks over and shoots them. He's tried to shoot them in a way they don't release their spray but when they relax it's released. But they don't spray at him. It's like they're in shock after being in the trap.
idunno.gif
I hate when we catch skunk!

On debs recommendation, I just left mine. They just dry out. I can rattle one but they just dry out. I love mine.

Or you can just shoot them yourself.

Wow, that's a LOT of work! Have-A-Heart traps them easily and you don't have to wait around.....knowing me I'd slip while I was turning the darn thing over on them and the skunk would spray me and wattle off! We (and when I say we, I mean my husband
lau.gif
) trap them overnight. Shoot them in the morning and dispose of them when he gets home at night. He doesn't cover the trap. Just walks over and shoots them. He's tried to shoot them in a way they don't release their spray but when they relax it's released. But they don't spray at him. It's like they're in shock after being in the trap.
idunno.gif
I hate when we catch skunk!
I have a whole bowl full of cute little blue fart/wind eggs! I have a Lavender Ameraucana who lays one or two every week. I don't know what her problem is but she has done this ever since she started laying last fall.

We have a skunk in our yard somewhere. I have yet to see it but we smell it and our dog was sprayed last month. The chickens are secure at night so there have been no problems with them, yet. I'm hoping that the dog will encourage it to move along to someone else's yard and that it doesn't have little stinkers!

Back
Top Bottom