California - Northern

Ron - nicely colored eggs! I hope mine will start back soon.

Nikon - yes, putting a dog down is the hardest ever. I had to do it twice in 3 months, my dog and my cat. My MIL had a schnauzer that was really sweet, but she had the highest pitch bark ever! They had to put her down due to pancreatitis. Now they have a super hyper mini schnauzer.

Tommysgirl - hate to be the Debbie downer here, but all 3 look like males.

Baby Pics...Sexing thoughts etc all are 4 weeks: Here we go

SPW #1

Mutt baby

and all three

SPW2

Any thoughts??? They used to be cuter but we all know how 4 week olds are AND these are so Slow to feather #2 has bald spots hoping they feather in soon.

My GL Wyandottes were the SLOWEST to feather in ever. I was sure they both were males - and one even had curly feathers coming in on the wings - I thought it was a FRIZZLE! They had chick down and bald spots forever, everybody else had all their feathers and those two still had chick fluff - but they finally did feather in. They both turned out to be girls. So - on the Wyandottes I am not even going to guess - because they could both be female.

The cross.. well - that comb says boy to me.

Oh - I had to laugh at your blaming the broody for the sex of the chicks hatched.. although the female is responsible for the sex - the incubator isn't.... I did notice that I had a LOT more boys than girls in the shipped eggs though - I think the girl embryos are more fragile?

My GL Wyandottes were the SLOWEST to feather in ever.  I was sure they both were males - and one even had curly feathers coming in on the wings - I thought it was a FRIZZLE!  They had chick down and bald spots forever, everybody else had all their feathers and those two still had chick fluff - but they finally did feather in.  They both turned out to be girls.  So - on the Wyandottes I am not even going to guess - because they could both be female.

The cross.. well - that comb says boy to me.

Oh - I had to laugh at your blaming the broody for the sex of the chicks hatched.. although the female is responsible for the sex - the incubator isn't....  I did notice that I had a LOT more boys than girls in the shipped eggs though - I think the girl embryos are more fragile?

I think so too!!!!

They are beautiful! Did they all hatch?

9 of the twelve eggs hatched on day 21 and 22. It is day 23 and 3 had not hatched. I went to take the remaining eggs out this morning and one of the 3 had a pip!
ep.gif
The other 2 have not pipped. Crazy Marans!

Here are a couple of pictures I took today of all 9.

9 of the twelve eggs hatched on day 21 and 22. It is day 23 and 3 had not hatched. I went to take the remaining eggs out this morning and one of the 3 had a pip! :eek: The other 2 have not pipped. Crazy Marans! Here are a couple of pictures I took today of all 9.
They are such a lovely color and very fluffy. I think I would give them more time too. I thought I read on Marans thread they can start hatching at day 23.

They look very nice!

Bresse are really tough little things too.

Thank you Ron, they are cute as a button!!
My girls love meat. They chow on mice or unhatched quails. Or anything they can get their beaks around really. I bet they will eat some fish bones but it should be fine.
Chrissy they look happy! I'm glad she accepted everyone. I have a jubilee who was hiding a nest...of nothing. I think I will see if she will accept chicks I don't know how long she has been sitting.

The wind damage pictures are sad and impressive. We are in a little gully here safe from the wind so we don't feel it as much.
Yes, they are doing great! And I let them all out with her flock mates. It was so cute. Everyone came up to check them out (not one tried to peck them), and then went on their way. Mama was pretty proud of them. In fact, her sister must have been very impressed. I found her on a nest tonight, ugh! I hope not ANOTHER broody!

Yes, they are doing great! And I let them all out with her flock mates. It was so cute. Everyone came up to check them out (not one tried to peck them), and then went on their way. Mama was pretty proud of them. In fact, her sister must have been very impressed. I found her on a nest tonight, ugh! I hope not ANOTHER broody!
The sound of peeping chicks can cause the broody disease to spread to any possible wanna-be broody (roosters are mostly immune. I think). Sometimes it is just one hen seeing another hen being broody. Its one reason I keep my broodies separate.. NOT for their protection (although it minimizes any additional eggs being added afterwards or squabbles over nests) - or the flocks - but because its contagious.
wink.png

I brought my two week old brooder chicks outside for a half day in the sun in the summertime this last year. In two days I had 5 broodies in the pens next to where the chicks were playing. One was a 6 year old EE that has NEVER been broody in her entire life. One was a Polish - and the other three were bantams (to be expected
roll.png
)... I broke them all by moving them to different pens, establishing the pecking order kept them too busy to set and the roosters wouldn't leave them alone - but I learned my lesson after that!

The sound of peeping chicks can cause the broody disease to spread to any possible wanna-be broody (roosters are mostly immune. I think). Sometimes it is just one hen seeing another hen being broody. Its one reason I keep my broodies separate.. NOT for their protection (although it minimizes any additional eggs being added afterwards or squabbles over nests) - or the flocks - but because its contagious.
wink.png

I brought my two week old brooder chicks outside for a half day in the sun in the summertime this last year. In two days I had 5 broodies in the pens next to where the chicks were playing. One was a 6 year old EE that has NEVER been broody in her entire life. One was a Polish - and the other three were bantams (to be expected
roll.png
)... I broke them all by moving them to different pens, establishing the pecking order kept them too busy to set and the roosters wouldn't leave them alone - but I learned my lesson after that!
oh dear, I did not know that
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom