California - Northern

Quote: Yes, you should wait and then check the egg for signs of life first. Pick it up and listen for peeping inside the shell. I tap on the egg sometimes too.

I open the egg from the big end carefully too. I did find a live chick inside an egg once. I got it out and it was fine and healthy too.

Quote: Actually... the guys that do my incubation services just found an oops. One of my Barred Rocks may have been contaminated by a capricious 14 wk old Golden Laced Wyandotte that got out of the grow pen for an hour. An HOUR! There are 4 chicks hatched yesterday with random brown spots. They are supposed to be pure BR.
idunno.gif
Anyway, I think they plan on selling those chicks for 1.50 ea. If you want them, I can PM you their phone number. Otherwise my next hatch isn't until Dec 5.

Actually... the guys that do my incubation services just found an oops. One of my Barred Rocks may have been contaminated by a capricious 14 wk old Golden Laced Wyandotte that got out of the grow pen for an hour. An HOUR! There are 4 chicks hatched yesterday with random brown spots. They are supposed to be pure BR.
idunno.gif
Anyway, I think they plan on selling those chicks for 1.50 ea. If you want them, I can PM you their phone number. Otherwise my next hatch isn't until Dec 5.
I'll bet those mixed chicks will be really pretty! I hope liz9910 takes them so we can see how they turn out!
pop.gif

Quote:
I would not mess with any eggs until day 25. Hatch dates can change if the eggs got cooled off. I have heard of one hatch at day 28 because the broody was new and kept forgetting she was sitting when she was off the nest. Also - first float test the egg and then candle it - see what it looks like inside. If its really dark with a large air cell and you do not hear/see any movement with the float test (and it floats and does not sink) then I would carefully open a teeny hole in the aircell - way at the top and peer in. That will give you a better idea of what is inside the egg - without damaging any possibly live chicks. Smashing the egg in a ziplock bag is ONLY for rotten eggs, not for eggs with potential chicks in them.

Actually... the guys that do my incubation services just found an oops. One of my Barred Rocks may have been contaminated by a capricious 14 wk old Golden Laced Wyandotte that got out of the grow pen for an hour. An HOUR! There are 4 chicks hatched yesterday with random brown spots. They are supposed to be pure BR.
idunno.gif
That must be one fertile boy!

I would not mess with any eggs until day 25. Hatch dates can change if the eggs got cooled off. I have heard of one hatch at day 28 because the broody was new and kept forgetting she was sitting when she was off the nest. Also - first float test the egg and then candle it - see what it looks like inside. If its really dark with a large air cell and you do not hear/see any movement with the float test (and it floats and does not sink) then I would carefully open a teeny hole in the aircell - way at the top and peer in. That will give you a better idea of what is inside the egg - without damaging any possibly live chicks. Smashing the egg in a ziplock bag is ONLY for rotten eggs, not for eggs with potential chicks in them.
X2!

I do hope you get some to hatch!

Well, my Marans hatch is finally over. Day 21 through 25! 11 of the 12 made it. The last chick did not turn and was too big to zip, so it ran out of air. What an exhausting hatch marathon! Glad it is over and now I can enjoy my new chicks!
smile.png

idunno.gif
I would like some i'm in San Diego

Well, my Marans hatch is finally over. Day 21 through 25! 11 of the 12 made it. The last chick did not turn and was too big to zip, so it ran out of air. What an exhausting hatch marathon! Glad it is over and now I can enjoy my new chicks!
smile.png

I would say your fertility test was AWESOME! WOW! Put me on the list for a trio if you have any left over (and not three boys, please
wink.png
)

Back
Top Bottom