California - Northern

Ok I have another broody question. So the broodies I've had before are usually very defensive and don't let any other hen close. This one…not so much. She let's pretty much everyone come right up. I only let her out a little bit with the others. I'm worried one baby won't keep up (there's 8), and while mamas not looking another bird will attack. I only saw her once chase off another hen. And it was because with all her clucking that hen was thinking she was going to get fed too. But it took a while. This broody is middle of the pecking order. I don't think it would bother me so much if she kept everyone at bay.

Ok I have another broody question. So the broodies I've had before are usually very defensive and don't let any other hen close. This one…not so much. She let's pretty much everyone come right up. I only let her out a little bit with the others. I'm worried one baby won't keep up (there's 8), and while mamas not looking another bird will attack. I only saw her once chase off another hen. And it was because with all her clucking that hen was thinking she was going to get fed too. But it took a while. This broody is middle of the pecking order. I don't think it would bother me so much if she kept everyone at bay.

My co worker had a similar problem. He moved the slow one into a brooder for a day and then put it back. The extra time away allowed the weaker one to recover and then join the others. He moved it back at night of course.

My co worker had a similar problem. He moved the slow one into a brooder for a day and then put it back. The extra time away allowed the weaker one to recover and then join the others. He moved it back at night of course.
Is it normal for mama to not drive everyone away from her babies? Babies are getting quicker everyday. But if they do get separated for a little bit, I'm worried the other hens will try to attack a loner. I figure I'll wait a couple weeks before they are all out together more. I stay out with them altogether. It's just mom hasn't put the fear dealing with her into the rest of the interested flock. Never seen that before. Wasn't sure if that meant she wasn't an ideal mother

I had some birds with bloody combs, even a bit torn. I think it was sometimes the feeder. the metal hooks where the bottom snaps to the top. I found blood around that area on the feeder. I figured that was it.
I agree about the coyotes. When our fences were low I was leary of the kids going out by themselves. And their smart too. They let the neighbor dogs chase them. Then when their tired, lure them into the orchards where the rest of the pack is. One neighbors dog barely got out. A border collie who was torn up and exhausted when he got home. And he's used to running all day long.
Coyotes do that, they lure dogs into the pack and the pack can kill them.
It is legal to kill a coyote. Will see. If I notice them around again I may get a trap.

Most of my runs are impossible to get into. Just the one had one area that has not been completely rocked in. That will be fixed this week.
The only 2 animals that can get in them would be a bear or mountain lion. There is no keeping them out though .

Is it normal for mama to not drive everyone away from her babies? Babies are getting quicker everyday. But if they do get separated for a little bit, I'm worried the other hens will try to attack a loner. I figure I'll wait a couple weeks before they are all out together more. I stay out with them altogether. It's just mom hasn't put the fear dealing with her into the rest of the interested flock. Never seen that before. Wasn't sure if that meant she wasn't an ideal mother

You are probably right about her not being a great Mother. Is this her first clutch?

this past week I have lost 2 silver ameraucana hens. They where the darker versions. I have had a few coyotes trying to dig under one of the runs I think. ( I have seen them on a few occasions on my property )
It made it easy for the smaller silvers to get under the fence. I did not notice the spot till yesterday when I noticed the second was gone.Its dark when I leave and get home.
I shored up the spot and hope to have the chicken area completely fenced in with 6 foot no climb around all the runs and let the black penedesenca free roam in that area around the the breeding runs. this serves 2 purposes , I can release my crele penedesenca rooster ( from another blood line )
with the silver ameraucana's plus I have a few crele penedesenca from my line I will put in there. They will be in that run. The 3 black penedesenca hens and The rooster ( I call him the Big Fella as he is a load and very alert ) will have the enclosed area around the runs.
I am off Tuesday till Monday and plan to do the fence then. will take about 200 feet of fence.
I am bummed about the 2 silvers but still have 4.
I have to figure out a way to get rid of the coyotes though as I can not quite afford to fence the complete property yet and I need it to be surveyed first.
I do not like having the coyotes around having 2 young kids that like to play outside. So I am looking into legal trapping methods. I know I can shoot them.
These guys are scouts and I know there are more. the ones around here are way to gutsy for there own good.

Set up a nice roosting spot and when the come at night.. bang bang.

Chrissy it all depends on the other hens. My experience is once they recognize them as part of the flock you are OK unless you have a mean chicken. IA anyone harassing her?

Is there an area of your coop you can make a private area for her and her babies for about a week? That's what I do with my broodies and it works well. By one week, the babies are strong on their feet. Are any other hens harassing her or the babies? I have had chicks killed by a broody that failed to protect them, but most of my hens do a fantastic job with their babies. That hen will not raise any more babies here. Sometimes, first time mom's take a bit for them to figure it out. I've had some that required a lot of supervision with their first clutch, but have raised babies since with no issues.

Last edited:
You are probably right about her not being a great Mother. Is this her first clutch?

Chrissy it all depends on the other hens. My experience is once they recognize them as part of the flock you are OK unless you have a mean chicken. IA anyone harassing her?

Is there an area of your coop you can make a private area for her and her babies for about a week? That's what I do with my broodies and it works well. By one week, the babies are strong on their feet. Are any other hens harassing her or the babies? I have had chicks killed by a broody that failed to protect them, but most of my hens do a fantastic job with their babies. That hen will not raise any more babies here. Sometimes, first time mom's take a bit for them to figure it out. I've had some that required a lot of supervision with their first clutch, but have raised babies since with no issues.
It is her first time and she seems to be good. She keeps them warm and doesn't go off too fast. I do have her separate, but like the idea of them getting together with the rest of the flock periodically so introduction isn't an issue. I haven't let her out long with the others, but the main issue I see is that she lets anyone come up to her babies. I'm worried another hen will find a baby by itself. Most of the others are ok, BUT I do have 3 birds at the top of the pecking order. That's who i'm worried about. .They are older hatchery birds. They haven't harassed her, but I only let them out all together about 30 minutes a day, because I don't want to leave them all alone together. I will keep her separate until they are a bit older. I guess I just had alarms going off in my head about her not keeping personal space. I just don't trust the situation.

Back
Top Bottom