California - Northern

I have the Rooster Collars. I have one on Brand, the Partridge Penedesenca. I will work on the others today.

Brand is quieter for sure.

The Bue egg layers hatch crazy like that. They hatched over three days!

I wonder why some of them do that?
idunno.gif

How exciting!!!! Those babies are just gorgeous!
Thank you
big_smile.png

This is a test hatch. These guys will be for sale later. I have some colors I am not sure about, so I need to keep them long enough for them to feather in.

Originally Posted by ronott1

The Bue egg layers hatch crazy like that. They hatched over three days!
I wonder why some of them do that?
idunno.gif

Thank you
big_smile.png

This is a test hatch. These guys will be for sale later. I have some colors I am not sure about, so I need to keep them long enough for them to feather in.

The Blue Egg layers were shipped, so that may have had something to do with it. I hatched a second shipped batch of them for Jason and they did the same thing. I should be hatching from my own soon so I will be watching them closely to see how they hatch compared to the shipped eggs.

Your Cuckoo marans chicks look a lot like the Crele Penedesencas chicks.

one of my icelandic roosters head a shoulders are super bloody . I think he got his comb caught on something as the other one does not seem aggressive to him. looks bad because he's a white rooster but looks super bad.
he is fine with no big gashes or anything but will keep my eye on him
I had some birds with bloody combs, even a bit torn. I think it was sometimes the feeder. the metal hooks where the bottom snaps to the top. I found blood around that area on the feeder. I figured that was it.
I agree about the coyotes. When our fences were low I was leary of the kids going out by themselves. And their smart too. They let the neighbor dogs chase them. Then when their tired, lure them into the orchards where the rest of the pack is. One neighbors dog barely got out. A border collie who was torn up and exhausted when he got home. And he's used to running all day long.

one of my icelandic roosters head a shoulders are super bloody . I think he got his comb caught on something as the other one does not seem aggressive to him. looks bad because he's a white rooster  but looks super bad.
he is fine with no big gashes or anything but will keep my eye on him

I had some birds with bloody combs, even a bit torn. I think it was sometimes the feeder. the metal hooks where the bottom snaps to the top. I found blood around that area on the feeder. I figured that was it.
I agree about the coyotes. When our fences were low I was leary of the kids going out by themselves. And their smart too. They let the neighbor dogs chase them. Then when their tired, lure them into the orchards where the rest of the pack is. One neighbors dog barely got out. A border collie who was torn up and exhausted when he got home. And he's used to running all day long.

I can tell you from experience that in freezing weather, metal feeders can be an issue. My welsummer rooster got his wattles stuck to the metal feeder after drinking water, then going to eat. (though it did make me think of the movie, A Christmas Story) It tore the crap out of his wattles and he was bleeding all over the place. I now switch to a plastic feeder in sub-freezing temps.

Ron - do you add any light other than your Chrstmas lights on the coop? I'm just curious - I'm hoping some of mine will start back up from molt soon. I don't add any lighting.

I can tell you from experience that in freezing weather, metal feeders can be an issue. My welsummer rooster got his wattles stuck to the metal feeder after drinking water, then going to eat. (though it did make me think of the movie, A Christmas Story) It tore the crap out of his wattles and he was bleeding all over the place. I now switch to a plastic feeder in sub-freezing temps.

Ron - do you add any light other than your Chrstmas lights on the coop? I'm just curious - I'm hoping some of mine will start back up from molt soon. I don't add any lighting.

I just have the led string on a timer from 4:30 to 9 each night. The 5 in there laid 3 eggs again today.

In order to keep them laying, they need enough light to see by, which is more light for a bigger area. A small enough space would only need a 25 watt equivalent light.

I hope they keep laying for the hatch a long.

I hope yours will start again soon.

I was looking at some photos from when I first got our chickens, to see if my gut feeling was right, and it was--both the good and the not so good. The good--the wyandottes have both grown quite a bit! They'd been the same size as my WR, or maybe a little smaller. They're now obviously bigger. The photos showed that their rears are proportionally bigger now, too. The bad--almost everyone's combs are paler and floppier than the last time I posted photos. And my lighter RSL has lost a lot of weight, not just fluff (poor thing looks a bit ratty, though better--she's half big feathers and half little ones). Would just worming everyone without sending poo to Davis be a good idea? I can't remember if I still have the ivermectin I got for the guinea pigs before we moved to somewhere way too small or not, but I'd likely have to get new anyway, because it was quite awhile ago that I bought it, and I don't think there was any label left to tell me the concentration. No one's laying anyway, and, going by comb color, won't be for a while yet, so I'm not worried about any withdrawal period.

Back
Top Bottom