California - Northern

The orps seem to enjoy people much more than the barnies. It was hard to get pics of the isabels because they kept coming towards me to be pet or picked up. and all of my orps have become so much more friendly since they started to lay, hopefully the barnies will too. I cant stand a flighty chicken, the easter eggers are terrible and now the barnies are on the list :( maybe once they lay it will change.

The orps seem to enjoy people much more than the barnies. It was hard to get pics of the isabels because they kept coming towards me to be pet or picked up. and all of my orps have become so much more friendly since they started to lay, hopefully the barnies will too. I cant stand a flighty chicken, the easter eggers are terrible and now the barnies are on the list :( maybe once they lay it will change.
Most pullets are nicer after they start laying. Not so much when they go Broody....

Quote: Hello there and welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif
and Welcome to the Nor Cal Thread.

I live right down the mountain from you, just below Pine Grove on Highway 88. What kind of chickens are you going to play with? I should warn you, being on this thread can cause chicken overload - so build a nice BIG coop - you will need it
hide.gif

Congratulations, Flowers!

I think it's safe to say that we're not going to be eating any of our own eggs for Christmas
hmm.png
Though at least our GLW is fairly red in the face (everyone else is mid-to-dark pink) with a dark pink comb. The wyandottes are our young ones--the lady I got everyone from said they were about 7 months old when I got them, and that was back in early October
hit.gif
Our older girls appear to be done molting, maybe, but my husband has said he'd like someoneto start laying before we put a bunch more money out. I can see his point, but I'd like to get the temporary quarantine coop/pen made in time for the February show in Eureka (anyone besides OR4HMom and probably me going?). It'll have to be very temporary--I'm going to try to design it so that I can break it down into panels for storage when we aren't using it.

Congratulations, Flowers!

I think it's safe to say that we're not going to be eating any of our own eggs for Christmas
hmm.png
Though at least our GLW is fairly red in the face (everyone else is mid-to-dark pink) with a dark pink comb. The wyandottes are our young ones--the lady I got everyone from said they were about 7 months old when I got them, and that was back in early October
hit.gif
Our older girls appear to be done molting, maybe, but my husband has said he'd like someoneto start laying before we put a bunch more money out. I can see his point, but I'd like to get the temporary quarantine coop/pen made in time for the February show in Eureka (anyone besides OR4HMom and probably me going?). It'll have to be very temporary--I'm going to try to design it so that I can break it down into panels for storage when we aren't using it.

Today is the Winter Solstice so Day light Hours will begin increasing now. Chickens are sensitive to stuff like that. I read a study about using lights with poultry and it found that chickens will be more aggressive when using CFL(Fluorescent) lights. The Flickering of the light was suspected.

th

Yay for Winter Solstice! I went out and one of my OE pullets was singing the egg song.
clap.gif

I also have read about a particular type of light bulb emitting toxic fumes, but I don't recall which one.

Back
Top Bottom