California - Northern

There is not a huge size difference there. Youll be fine. Neither are great layers however...

Other than when in a breeding pen, my waterfowl all run together, three breeds of geese & four breeds of ducks. That goes from African geese down to Call ducks. They all get along together fine.
Thanks. I have not kept waterfowl in a long time, and when I did I generally kept single breeds. I thought they were better than chickens about mixed sizes, but wanted to check (I know some chickens do well in mixed size flocks, but despite growing up with the meanest, baddest silkie ever who ruled a dual purpose LF flock with an iron fist, I like to avoid mixing and have had more bad experiences than good).

The eggs I'm not too worried about, the chickens keep me pretty well covered there. I'm just going to cross my fingers they turned out to be the same sex, or at least if they're a male and a female the mallard is the male. A big Pekin drake over a lone, smaller hen seems like a recipe for disaster. Can you tell I tend to be overly paranoid with what could go wrong with my animals?

here are some pics of my silkie and sizzle co-parenting just like @chiqita said they would. The chicks in the pic with the sizzle are Birchen Marans from @lawatt don't ask us about the coloring on the one. Apparently sometimes a Silver Wheaten hatches from Birchen eggs. No one is complaining about that for sure...If you expand the pics it looks like the wings on the black chicks are coppery too. The eggs all cam from her flock so we know they are Birchen but it is curious. I have older chicks from laura as well and I didn't see the coppery coloring on their wings.

Anyway here is the little blended family:

See all that white? Those are RSL cockerels...but if you look closely you can see there are two red girls in there too

The girls are more obvious here

Guess What??

Almost as rare as a big foot sighting...Julie Taylor taking sole charge of her three. She typically tags along after Gracie who does the lions share of the work. These are the Marans chicks...I think all are cockerels. Pretty certain the light one is. It is so leggy!

here are some pics of my silkie and sizzle co-parenting just like @chiqita said they would. The chicks in the pic with the sizzle are Birchen Marans from @lawatt don't ask us about the coloring on the one. Apparently sometimes a Silver Wheaten hatches from Birchen eggs. No one is complaining about that for sure...If you expand the pics it looks like the wings on the black chicks are coppery too. The eggs all cam from her flock so we know they are Birchen but it is curious. I have older chicks from laura as well and I didn't see the coppery coloring on their wings.

See all that white? Those are RSL cockerels...but if you look closely you can see there are two red girls in there too

Guess What??

Almost as rare as a big foot sighting...Julie Taylor taking sole charge of her three. She typically tags along after Gracie who does the lions share of the work. These are the Marans chicks...I think all are cockerels. Pretty certain the light one is. It is so leggy!
Nice!

A agree about the chicks in the last picture being Cockerels, or around here, chicken dinner!

Nice!

A agree about the chicks in the last picture being Cockerels, or around here, chicken dinner!
Yeah...when you expand the pic the combs on the black ones are visible. These babies are just 3 weeks old..that's a lot of comb for 3 weeks.

Mine are......................................more reasonable, because I just need for them to go.
smile.png
Do you have pullets available, too?

Guess What??

I'd be excited to get that little silver sport out of my eggs! :p So cute seeing them coparent.

they sometimes start out with a brownish color in their feathers, instead of black (but not *copper*, which is lighter & more red/brassy) -- i think the brown is called "mossy" in the marans parlance, but i've also found that it shifts more toward black (with green sheen!) as their adult feathers come in.

and the light-colored chick could turn out silver wheaten, or possibly duckwing, or some weird coloration in between. mixed parentage in their birchen mom!

We conducted our taste test last night and compared a Bresse cockerel (24 wks) to a Pita Pinta cockerel (19-20 wks). We roasted them with salt, pepper, butter, onion, and celery. Four thumbs up for the dual purpose Pita Pintas!!! They were both very tasty but Monet and I preferred the PP over the Bresse. The Bresse meat was a little chewier but since he was 4-5 weeks older than the PP that might have made some difference in the texture. The Bresse had more dark meat and it was very dark colored. The PP dark meat was only slightly darker than the breast meat. Both had a decent amount of white meat and both were very flavorful. This has almost persuaded me to not build my Bresse flock back up but to stick with my BBS Langshans and my Pita Pintas.

Back
Top Bottom