California - Northern

I knew it!
highfive.gif
That is why I have mine hatching in the :bird room. Even in there, the quail roosters like to wake me up early.

The Silkies were very nice to me. The first one hatched just after 6 this morning. Cute little guy. There are lots of pips so I expect a bunch out from this hatch.

I used the cool down cycle for two hours a night to give them a bit more punch when they hatch.

more fence work today. sorry I have not checked in much been real busy around here.
of course this morning we are going to bring the family down to see how the 6-7 month old Black and Tan Coonhound acts. i have been to the rescue twice now. they have great dogs and I highly recommend the cause. This boy is super sweet but so scared. I hope we can give him what he needs.
they have so many young dogs in the 6-12 month age. Mostly from a puppy mill they think
both Plott and Black and Tan Coonhounds but they also have some great adults including the most handsome 2 year old Redbone Coon hound .
I am hopeful once he is out of his shell we can teach our's to tree Raccoons and stay away from the skunks

its www.coonhoundrescue.com
they only have the adults on the page but have more available and are out of Sutter Creek

Last edited:
more fence work today. sorry I have not checked in much been real busy around here.
of course this morning we are going to bring the family down to see how the 6-7 month old Black and Tan Coonhound acts. i have been to the rescue twice now. they have great dogs and I highly recommend the cause. This boy is super sweet but so scared. I hope we can give him what he needs.
they have so many young dogs in the 6-12 month age. Mostly from a puppy mill they think
both Plott and Black and Tan Coonhounds but they also have some great adults including the most handsome 2 year old Redbone Coon hound .
I am hopeful once he is out of his shell we can teach our's to tree Raccoons and stay away from the skunks

they only have the adults on the page but have more available and are out of Sutter Creek
fl.gif
I hope the fence work and the visit go well!

I agree, the bolded part was just saying the lung fibrus issues were a result of the other health problems/her worsening condition, and not some new problem or disease to be concerned about.
I also agree.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your new dog!

I commented the same thing on the ones I processed. Some of them were as big as some of the chickens I've processed. I also did several girls and they were full of forming eggs.

I don't know if I could do that, I processed 34 in an hour and fifteen minutes! A 35th might have gotten to me
wink.png

I processed two little cockerels today. One was a CCL x Crele Pene mix and the other was a cross beak delaware.

I can see why Dels are a good Dual Purpose breed. It was very easy to pluck. The CCL X CP was a bit harder to pluck.

Next will be an older Rooster and likely one of the older Girls. She is a Golden Comet going on 5 years old. She is starting to limp and have quality of life issues.

Chicken and Dumplings time soon.

Thank you. Glad it was nothing contagious but it's sad that I had to lose both my Speckled Sussex. Don't know if I want to get another, it'll probably be too sad.

Like Ron said before....you will likely get better, healthier birds if you are able to find some from a breeder or hatch your own. I know it's hard, but if it is a breed you really like I wouldn't let a bad experience with hatchery birds put you off of them.
I have my incubator in my room. I don't mind being woken up by a hatch, when I hear the chirping at 2am I just get up and watch them hatch LOL.
I'm too old to get woken up in the middle of the night anymore. I don't function well without a solid nights sleep...
old.gif

Quote: Did you use that during the entire incubation or just near hatch?

Good luck with both!

Quote: I don't know if I could do that, I processed 34 in an hour and fifteen minutes! A 35th might have gotten to me
wink.png

I haven't done any girls yet. I have the other 4 roosters waiting...but will probably do them next week.

Quote: I have my 3 year old red sex link that I kept talking about processing for the last year. She kept laying rubber eggs and very thin shelled eggs, but she must have heard me. She had quit laying at all for about 6 weeks, then when she started back up, her eggs have been perfect.

Did you use that during the entire incubation or just near hatch?
The two hours of cool down is used from day 7 to lockdown. It helps to increase hatch rate but more importantly in helps the chicks develop properly. They are healthier and hatch better.

I use it when I can. It is hard to do when stagger hatching.

hey please help me out. I have D'uccles hatching. It began at 10:30 last night. The one egg started first, & had a tiny hole in it, but no real cracks. It hasn't zipped at all. I took tweezers and just wiggled the hole so it could get some cracks to help it zip. What else should I do?

Back
Top Bottom