California - Northern

Ron my Partridge Trio I hatched are starting to breed, not laying yet but the rooster is doing his job. presently the run has a trio of crele and the partridge trio. i need to figure out my next move as I need to probably downsize 1 variety to better focus on the others.
I have Empordanesa still which where my darkest layers last year.
Crele along with the youngsters. I have a adult male and 2 teen boys along with probably 9 girls total. ( 4 olive eggers and 2 silver ameraucana . I need to find a way to keep 2 pure crele runs going and keep the olive eggers and silver am's separated as well. probably the oe's in 1 crele run and silver am's in the other.

As far as the Partridge I have decided they will stay.
I also have a neat mix of black Penedesenca.
I have Casanova the rooster I got from you. My Sandhill girl. I have a Young good rooster I hatched from them and 3 girls too.
I also have a Rooster and 5 hens I hatched from my friend Joshua at Dirty Ankle Acres.
So I have a great foundation from different import lines of the Blacks.

I have been stressing on the decision but it may be my Empordanesa going or possibly my crele well that is unless I can construct a few more runs lol. Wife is getting tired of that though.

Decisions its been a lot of tossing and turning at night on this subject recently.

Ron my Partridge Trio I hatched are starting to breed, not laying yet but the rooster is doing his job. presently the run has a trio of crele and the partridge trio. i need to figure out my next move as I need to probably downsize 1 variety to better focus on the others.
I have Empordanesa still which where my darkest layers last year.
Crele along with the youngsters. I have a adult male and 2 teen boys along with probably 9 girls total. ( 4 olive eggers and 2 silver ameraucana . I need to find a way to keep 2 pure crele runs going and keep the olive eggers and silver am's separated as well. probably the oe's in 1 crele run and silver am's in the other.

As far as the Partridge I have decided they will stay.
I also have a neat mix of black Penedesenca.
I have Casanova the rooster I got from you. My Sandhill girl. I have a Young good rooster I hatched from them and 3 girls too.
I also have a Rooster and 5 hens I hatched from my friend Joshua at Dirty Ankle Acres.
So I have a great foundation from different import lines of the Blacks.

I have been stressing on the decision but it may be my Empordanesa going or possibly my crele well that is unless I can construct a few more runs lol. Wife is getting tired of that though.

Decisions its been a lot of tossing and turning at night on this subject recently.

It is good to hear that the Black and Partridge are working out for you.

It will be easier with less--especially as we move into winter. Working with two penes and the others will be plenty since the breeding requires separate pens for line breeding.

I woke up this morning to 2 hatched silkies (both gray) and 4 more pips. Yay! Early, though.
Nothing yet on the orp eggs - no surprise.

Congrats! Can't wait for pictures!

Interesting "first" egg this morning. I found it on the floor of the secure pen this morning so no idea who laid it.

It looked almost on the purple side when I brought it in. Lots of scratch on the surface and a tiny hole on one side...no doubt from being out in the path of everyone

So I rinsed it off and when it is wet it looks like a Marans egg. (Looks much darker in person than here)

Is it just a very heavy bloom on it? I only have 1 Marans pullet and she has been laying for a couple of weeks in the nest box.

My other pullets are all either Mottled AM project birds or are supposed to be OE. This egg does not look like either. Arent OE blue eggs for AM with dark brown paint from the Marans?

Congrats! Can't wait for pictures!

Interesting "first" egg this morning. I found it on the floor of the secure pen this morning so no idea who laid it.

It looked almost on the purple side when I brought it in. Lots of scratch on the surface and a tiny hole on one side...no doubt from being out in the path of everyone

So I rinsed it off and when it is wet it looks like a Marans egg. (Looks much darker in person than here)

Is it just a very heavy bloom on it? I only have 1 Marans pullet and she has been laying for a couple of weeks in the nest box.

My other pullets are all either Mottled AM project birds or are supposed to be OE. This egg does not look like either. Arent OE blue eggs for AM with dark brown paint from the Marans?

It could be either. The blue egg shell parent has to have two blue genes in the pair to guarantee a blue egg shell. If there is one blue and one white gene, a percentage of the offspring will inherit a white shell gene form both parents(The dark brown egg coating parent will have two white recessive genes for egg shell color) and have a white instead of blue shell.

My guess? It is a marans egg with bloom. It is a very pretty egg.

Normal egg laying behavior is to peck the egg so make sure it is viable. First eggs are often a bit soft so they will get a peck hole in them sometimes. This behavior is often confused with the dreaded egg eater, which is a myth. All hens are egg eaters and they will eat an egg that breaks. The best thing to do is to make sure that the hens are laying eggs that have good shells on them.

I have TONS of chicks. Though I'm in redding, very reasonable to ship them and they leave at 5 PM and are usually at your local PO first thing in the morning. Let me know I have chicks hatching each week and I really need to sell them all. I'm living in an overrun world of chickens and I am starting my NPIP testing in a few weeks. Must depopulate quickly or I have that many more birds to test. :)
OOOHHHH SO VERY TEMPTING!

Trader Joes are pure leghorns. The chicks from whole foods are crossed with a brown egg laying breed--they are brown eggs. TJs eggs are pearl white.

They are different breeds.

Are they? I guess I just got the freaks with black freckles and tiny combs (some are solid white with large combs too, though). As long as they lay like Leghorns I don't mind.
I woke up this morning to 2 hatched silkies (both gray) and 4 more pips. Yay! Early, though.
Nothing yet on the orp eggs - no surprise.
Silkies! Aw... post pics if you get a chance.
I have TONS of chicks. Though I'm in redding, very reasonable to ship them and they leave at 5 PM and are usually at your local PO first thing in the morning. Let me know I have chicks hatching each week and I really need to sell them all. I'm living in an overrun world of chickens and I am starting my NPIP testing in a few weeks. Must depopulate quickly or I have that many more birds to test. :)
That horde of chicks troubling you doesn't happen to contain silkies, does it? Especially Cuckoo or blue?

Quote: well, yes and no. I have both colors. But they are not from my pure pens, they are from the combined color silkie and sizzle pen. I get a lot of cuckoo and blue though from those pens. :) so, just depends on your goal. Great for pets or for fun bantam breeding but not recommended for trying to breed cuckoos or blues specifically.

Back
Top Bottom