California - Northern

Yes, I am getting old enough that Orange, golden and etc. kind of look the same.

The Internet dress may have looked different because of age related color perception....
gig.gif
LOL! My eyes are older than yours and I am constantly finding myself visually challenged!

a live chicken is always preferable to a dead one i 100% agree. If she is sensitive to cocci id go ahead and get sulfadimethoxine for the future. It is less long term damaging then sulmet and is the sulfa drug recomended by dr peter brown.

I keep it on hand because sometimes someone does not respond to corid.

I hope the fussy dear is better soon! Eu imports can be a challenge.

Didn't even think of that, gah! Don't know what I can use, though I could bring them in the house where it's a bit warmer than outside overnight.

ETA: Is it too late? It's been 13 hours, at least.

No, not too late on day 11. You will want to get them back up soon though.

Didn't even think of that, gah! Don't know what I can use, though I could bring them in the house where it's a bit warmer than outside overnight.

I have no idea if they would still be viable or not. Do you have a gas oven? The old ones with pilot lights were used for keeping all kinds of things warm.

Since we are talking or were talking about candling, do most of you candle from the top?  I've been just candling the eggs from the top while they are sitting in the trays.  It is fast an effective.  I only pick up the ones that I'm not sure of.  I used to use a high lumin LED flashlight but I had to use a piece of foam pipe insulation to prevent light leakage.  I recently purchased a plug in candler from amazon.  I'm very pleased with how it works even with dark Maran eggs.  The only thing that I can't do with it is take it outside to candle broody eggs.

http://www.amazon.com/Magicfly-Bright-Light-Candler-Tester/dp/B00KCKNYCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429238869&sr=8-1&keywords=egg+candler
[/quote

I do the same with light & medium colored eggs, but, with the very dark colored Marans eggs, had to take them out. I candle only on the 10th., and on the 18th., when I stop turning the eggs. I used black felt around the lense, but, foam pipe insulation is a better idea. Most likely it does not bend as easily as the felt, but, still soft enough to not cause damage. I always use surgical gloves on the hand which I hold the eggs in.

Lual

No, not too late on day 11. You will want to get them back up soon though.

Good to know, thanks! Here's to hoping I find something soon (other than people saying I'm far away *rolls eyes*).

I have no idea if they would still be viable or not. Do you have a gas oven? The old ones with pilot lights were used for keeping all kinds of things warm.

Nope, we're all electric, and the lowest setting on the oven is 175.

a live chicken is always preferable to a dead one i 100% agree. If she is sensitive to cocci id go ahead and get sulfadimethoxine for the future. It is less long term damaging then sulmet and is the sulfa drug recomended by dr peter brown.

I keep it on hand because sometimes someone does not respond to corid.

I hope the fussy dear is better soon! Eu imports can be a challenge.

Thanks again chiquita! I have chicken people where we already covered the discussion re Sulmet and thank you for your kind thoughts.

Peter Brown calls himself "Doc" but is not a licensed/credentialed veterinarian so I won't pay him for advice. I'd rather pay $10 more to my licensed/credentialed veterinarian who many times doesn't charge me at all for his qualified advice.

Both the Breda and the Ameraucana are doing much better than when they first arrived by USPS. USPS is the reason I order juveniles and not chicks. When I pay good money for rare breeds I want them old enough to survive the journey!

Yeah, it takes a while to build up diverse breeding stock. I guess the Breda chicks get a rocky start but are hardy as adults. These Bredas' nature/personality are worth every effort but does take a certain kind of breeder/owner aware and willing to diligently address their idiosynchrasies. I happen to have had my fill of layer and dual-purpose breeds and now am intrigued with the rare, unique, and beautiful breeds.

Thanks again chiquita!  I have chicken people where we already covered the discussion re Sulmet and thank you for your kind thoughts.

Peter Brown calls himself "Doc" but is not a licensed/credentialed veterinarian so I won't pay him for advice.  I'd rather pay $10 more to my licensed/credentialed veterinarian who many times doesn't charge me at all for his qualified advice.

Both the Breda and the Ameraucana are doing much better than when they first arrived by USPS.  USPS is the reason I order juveniles and not chicks.  When I pay good money for rare breeds I want them old enough to survive the journey!

Yeah, it takes a while to build up diverse breeding stock.  I guess the Breda chicks get a rocky start but are hardy as adults.  These Bredas' nature/personality are worth every effort but does take a certain kind of breeder/owner aware and willing to diligently address their idiosynchrasies.  I happen to have had my fill of layer and dual-purpose breeds and now am intrigued with the rare, unique, and beautiful breeds.

not to argue but hes got a phd in chicken health. Thats more then any avain vet.

i used to think that too till i dug a little deeper. The other person who recommended this was a vet but shes in Europe. Dr illse was awesome but she got sick and dissapeared :(

Back
Top Bottom