California - Northern

Glad you are back online now. We had a lot more hiccups than usual with our satellite reception that I think was due to the heat, but no outages

We are supposed to be the hottest today here......
somad.gif
Vandals cut a main fiber trunk in the Bay area knocking out internet for several ISPs, Wave Broadband and Comcast were two of them. It is being investigated and I hope they are caught!

I think someone flipped the calendar when I wasn't looking, these are August temps!

Everyone is holding on OK, not liking it but they are used to the heat. 106 forecast for today with 108 tomorrow, way to many triple digit day in a row for June.

We have 4 baby pigeons, we get to see them more than usual since they don't need warming from Mom and Dad. Same with the pyncheon chick except the broody is such a screaming meanie. I got spoiled with my big moms. This pyncheon is FIERCE!

It is very hot!

I lost one yesterday--I have adjusted the mist timer to run longer for today. We are forecast to go down to 98 tomorrow.

I hope it is cooler tomorrow!

Sorry for your loss ronott1.

Just jumping in here to say hi. I am new to the whole chick raising thing and am already getting addicted.

I am in the foothills of Central Cali... OK, Northern Cali. Valley Springs area. :) So... Hello!

Welcome! This is one heck of a nice group for you to join! Lots of great info, and fun! Kern in Newman

Just jumping in here to say hi. I am new to the whole chick raising thing and am already getting addicted.

I am in the foothills of Central Cali... OK, Northern Cali. Valley Springs area. :) So... Hello!

Hi! Welcome! If you think you're getting addicted now, just wait and see where you are in a few years.
wink.png
I started with 6 chickens...and today I just got rid of the last of my cockerels from the chicks I hatched out - don't remember how many there were, but I had set about 40 eggs in the incubator...for this hatch. Haha!
This thread is a great place to learn about everything surrounding chickens, and you'll get to know some awesome people!

It is great having you post here!

Sorry for your loss ronott1.
Thanks! It looks like we may be a bit cooler today thankgoodness!

EDIT: Sorry for picture spam! Didn't realize how long the post was until after I posted.

Hey everyone - I'm selling my flock. Mom told me after I got off work yesterday that my favorite hen, one of my original 6, had died.
sad.png
I was devastated, and to make it worse, I had to watch her get ripped open for necropsy today. The guy that did it is very experienced and said everything looked normal. So between that and the fact that she and the other bird that died a couple weeks ago showed no symptoms of any kind, plus the fact that my flock has always tested free of diseases when birds are sent in to UC Davis for necropsy, we're thinking it was this darn heat that got them. It's been over 110. I know Jeff has lost at least 10 birds recently from the heat.

All my birds are FOR SALE.

"Splash" the Splash Andalusian. 2 years old. Top hen, feather-picker, skittish around people. But she is BEAUTIFUL, and a good layer. Her eyes are different, might make a really fun breeding project.

Mottled Orpington. A few months old. Not sure if male or female but I would bet money that it's a female as its brothers(who are also for sale) have BIG, RED combs and wattles.

Silkie pullet! A few months old. At least, I THINK it's a pullet. Very hard to tell with Silkies. This is a VERY friendly bird.

Silkie. A few months old. Again, not sure on gender. This one could be either, but I'm thinking female.

Lacey. Splash has picked her feathers like crazy, she is not very pretty right now. She is a year (or so) old Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. She is absolutely stunning when she has all her feathers - which she will after her next molt. She is broody right now and is sharing the nest box with Curly Sue.

This is a photo I took of one of Papa's Poultry's BLRW - this is the breeding stock Lacey came from - so you can get a better idea of how she will look after her next molt.

Curly Sue the Frizzle Tolbunt Polish. She is about 2.5 years old if I remember right. Walks with a slight limp due to having survived the neighbor's dog digging into my yard and attacking her. She recovered from going into major shock - she is a fighter!! She's broody right now, sharing the nest box with Lacey. She is a decent layer, but she's more of a conversation piece than anything!

Sabrina, French Black Copper Marans from Heaven Sent Ranch stock, which are normally $25 per unsexed day-old chick. Sabrina lays beautiful chocolate colored, sometimes speckled, eggs. She is about a year old and a great layer. She is pretty ugly right now due to Splash having picked at her feathers on her back so much. But there is a picture of her by the pool that shows how she will look after her next molt.

Little tiny Silkie. A few months old. Unsure on gender, but thinking pullet.

Maybe a more experienced Silkie person could weigh in on the genders of those 3 babies.
I also have two or three Mottled Orpington and 1 Chocolate Orpington COCKERELS for sale.
Please PM me if you're interested in any of the birds. Discount for buying multiple birds, and I will give a REALLY good discount to anyone who takes all 4 hens or a pair of hens.

Last edited:
Hi! Welcome! If you think you're getting addicted now, just wait and see where you are in a few years.
wink.png
I started with 6 chickens...and today I just got rid of the last of my cockerels from the chicks I hatched out - don't remember how many there were, but I had set about 40 eggs in the incubator...for this hatch. Haha!
This thread is a great place to learn about everything surrounding chickens, and you'll get to know some awesome people!
Ha! I am really going to TRY to keep the numbers down. After all, what would I do with all the extra eggs! ;)

Back
Top Bottom