California - Northern

Yeah, I am unfortunately gonna have to be working practically the entire next week. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but I also love the fact that it's part time and I only have to be there three or four days a week. But with the amount of people we expect to have getting pullets this time, all the reserved birds are getting brought over a few days early, starting to today. As I recall we have over 50 people on the reserve list alone for this batch.

Where do you get your birds from?

According to the "official" state survey, the center of CA is in North Fork, south of Bass Lake. There is a survey marker there. I suppose if you took a CA map and folded it into quarters that may work, but CA is far from square, and North Fork sure seems to be closer to the CA/NV border than it is from the coast.
If you were to look right down the center of the state, north to south along the 99, Merced sure looks to be pretty close to the center. There is a place on 99, north of Atwater, and south of Livingston, where there are two palm trees that are said to mark the center of 99 N to S at the 99/Sultana interchange. When that section of the highway was developed into a freeway a few years ago, an over crossing was made, and the trees were transplanted. One was placed on either side of the freeway. You can see them on google earth. One in the NW and the other in the SE cloverleaf area of the interchange. And that is probably enough trivial information to last us for quite a while. Sorry I got geeky.
1f913.png

I am interested in the turken if he's still available =}

I just got to work and he's still here (along with the Barred Rocks, RSL, and one Brahma, if anyone else is interested). I took a few more photos of him. He's gorgeous, looks like he's gonna remain a nice rich red and has some beautiful saddle feathers coming in. He's got a nice docile temperament too.

The meat guy is gonna be by for the rest of them later today, do you want me to hold him for you?

I just got to work and he's still here (along with the Barred Rocks, RSL, and one Brahma, if anyone else is interested). I took a few more photos of him. He's gorgeous, looks like he's gonna remain a nice rich red and has some beautiful saddle feathers coming in. He's got a nice docile temperament too.

The meat guy is gonna be by for the rest of them later today, do you want me to hold him for you?

Update: The meat guy came to get them this afternoon. :/ I asked my boss if he wanted to hold back the Naked Neck but he said no. @Chrysolinsbirds if you still want one we have NNs in the next batch too and may have some cockerels among them.

Last edited:
Working outside today I heard a little blue boy practicing his crow. I'm still holding out hope for the black chick, the comb is still dark, looks almost gypsy in color.

Back
Top Bottom