California-Southern

Ivermectin does not kill tapeworms.

you need to check this out for yourself though

levamisole (prohibit) and febendazole (safeguard) have decent efficiacy

valbazen - used off label - is the most effective tape worm medication.

round worms are most common and ivermectin is great for them as well as lice. round worms will become resistant to it if not rotated.
Thank you ozepat - got this off poultrykeeper.com in the U.K. - Ivermectin - An anti-parasite medication, effective against most worms (not tapeworm), mites and some lice including scaly leg mite and northern fowl mite. Ivermectin pour-on / drops is applied to the skin. Unlicensed for use in poultry so should only be purchased and used at the advice of your vet.

My Ivermectin equine paste lists treating for the following parasites: Large Strongyles (adults), Small Strongyles(adults and 4th stage larvae), Ascarids (adults and 3rd and 4th stage larvae), Pinworms (adults and 4th stage larvae), Large-mouth Stomach Worms (adults), Bots (oral and gastric stages), Lungworms (adults and 4th stage larvae), Intestinal Threadworms (adults), Summer Sores caused by Hybronema and Draschia spp. cutaneous 3d sage larvae, Dermatitis caused by neck threadworm microfilariae, Onchoceerca sp. Under each parasite is listed several scientific names for the worms that fall under each parasite category that I did not list here or it would take too much room.

Whatever the scientific name of Tapeworms is (it seems to have several names depending on the animal/human who contracted it) it seems to have to be diagnosed by a vet and treated differently from other worms. However on a good note poultry are not usually infected with tapeworms according to the research I managed to find.

On another note, I too, previously read that wormers should be rotated. I've used Ivermectin almost 3 years along with Poultry Protector and have been worm-free according to lab results so far. Going to discuss with my next vet visit about what alternative if necessary to rotate with Ivermectin. It's hard to imagine that rotating would make any difference as don't wormers have the same ingredients to be effective? Flubenvet is a wormer used in feed that will kill Gapeworm but it is a U.K. product. Will have to find a rotation product through the vet. Ivermectin is so easy to use because it is exact dosage per bird but with the waterer/feeder method some of my chickens eat/drink a lot and others not so much so it's guesswork how much each chicken has ingested to be effective. I hate guesswork but will do whatever necessary to keep a healthy flock.

As I've said before on other posts there is no end to learning about chickens and so many decisions about what works best for our situation!

this is worth repeating

Chickens should not be treated with Baytril.

here's a quick reference, there are many
http://beefmagazine.com/mag/beef_baytril_poultry_banned

From what I could understand about the ban of Baytril was it's potential to lead to antibiotic resistance in humans. Since we don't eat our chickens and only one has ever received a Baytril injection we don't feel too threatened. If the Baytril were given to a dual-purpose bird or avid egg-laying hen then I would think twice before using the eggs or meat of that bird.

This is a very good information post for chickeneers raising meat or selling eggs as "organic."

Interesting because my vet recommended it!

I have never used it but have once used Tylan on a peahen and it pretty much saved her life.
Fluoroquinolone antibiotics are banned in US for treating poultry because of the fear of them being used en masse by commercial growers.

In many countries the ban does not exist. My use of baytril was in the philippines on a bird near death from coryza and I did not have oxytetracycline injectable available locally at the time. I feel pretty comfortable that treating a single chicken with an appropriate dose will have not an effect on the resistance to the antibiotic by ecoli

The wide spread practice of taking cipro or a z-pack for every runny nose by humans will continue to cause more damage and bug resistance than a once evert few years shot by a bycer.

My first line should always be a lesser drug like tetrox or tylan. If a vet prescribes baytril, i would give it.

I don't do any of this... don't like all the drugs being given so regularly to animals that I eat and their eggs. I will vaccinate them when they hatch but that's it. If they are not healthy enough to survive then they don't survive. It means I go through birds but my goal is to build a healthy sustainable flock that doesn't require so much help from humans. Just my own thoughts and practice though.

From the Crazy H-Bar Ranch;
I am heading out to the Davis lab in San Bernardino on Friday morning. If anyone has a need to carpool let me know. Leaving from Lake Elsinore.

Wow from the Ranch: I don't know where to start... This week has been so frustrating. We lost a SBEL, awaiting test results. Tonight our Crested Legbar will probably give up her fight from, I have no idea what. I found out that this week that our OE is a boy along with our BlackLRW and looking at this lil rooster I also think the BlueLRW is a roo and the other wyandotte is really starting to look rooish! I give up. lol...

The BLRW are hard to sex. How old are they? They do look rooish just now- some more than others.
Not so sure on the OE though the hackle feathers are a bit pointy.
And the Legbar looks sick. :(

Last edited:
The BLRW are hard to sex. How old are they? They do look rooish just now- some more than others.
Not so sure on the OE though the hackle feathers are a bit pointy.
And the Legbar looks sick.
sad.png
They are 9/10 weeks.

I just lost a SBEL on Wednesday and this Legbar has been like this for a few days...

Back
Top Bottom