California-Southern

Thank you!!! I will contact them and ask.

Another question: Yesterday I heard in the radio that this year's El Niño storm will be as big if not bigger than the one in 1997. What are you guys doing here in SoCal to prepare your coops for this storm? I have those manufactured coops I bought online.

When I had our little 4x6 open wire coop I bought a couple plywood sheets and Lowe's cut them to size for me. Fastened them to the long sides of the little coop and then double tarped over the coop. Then I put a pop-up canopy over the coop and buried the canopy legs in the soil so it didn't para-sail away in the wind - wasn't the most pleasing aesthetics but it kept the chickens dry! However, this year we got a new Barn Coop that is a lot sturdier and heavier and hopefully our contractor will get our patio roof built over it before the rains hit. Otherwise I'll use a LARGE handy-dandy tarp again to prevent leaks into the coop.

With our old little coop i used treated 2x4s around the coop base to divert as much water as possible from the coop dirt floor. A couple areas along the base were problematic when I water-tested with our garden hose and a couple paver stones and/or smooth fireplace bricks worked to plug the seepage. The canopy was a tremendous help. Just do as much as you can think of to prevent water entering the coop from the top as well as at the coop base - it pays off in the end! Water test with a hose to see where you need to concentrate your efforts. Our worst rain poured like El Nino for 2 days straight last season and just a little bit of water seeped into the coop so I swear by water diverting at the base.

Hi guys!! I am planning to order some chicks in January from Murray McMurray. The minimum is 15! I was thinking maybe we can do group order? Anybody interested? I need only 3-4. The feed store doesn't always have sexed Polish...and I need girls. If we order more, shipping is cheaper.

HI everybody!

Hesperia Calif. here. Our coop is finally done. Hoping to find a friendly breeder in the high desert. Glad to be here!
1f603.png

Back
Top Bottom