California-Southern

Well said as far as our great California people go! -- but there are definitely specific differences in our north and south and even central regions that have peculiar issues that face them insofar as flock raising goes.  Chickens are chickens and we all have those challenges in common.  However, each region has challenges peculiar to them such as climate and weather, geological differences, disease or regional insect issues, different predator types to confront, etc.  I'm in SoCal but like to read the NoCal thread insofar as chicken breeding/care goes and just gloss over those NoCal regional issues that don't apply to my SoCal region.  NoCal has more spacious territory conducive to chickeneering than the majority of compact city living in SoCal territory.
ill start doing that my self, might move to NorCal some day chickeneering yeah lol:lau

Quote:
::snort:::
gig.gif

ill start doing that my self, might move to NoCal some day chickeneering yeah lol:lau

About 20 years ago we bought beautiful undeveloped vacant acreage in NoCal next to protected land reserves to build and retire but when retirement approached, the economy and budget went wonky. So, the NoCal property continues to stay vacant and here we remain in SoCal where our little cottage is paid for, medical and retail businesses are closeby, and we keep just a small zoned flock for our backyard enjoyment. The vacant NoCal property will have to be someone else's dream in the family as we're too senior to tackle farm/ranch living now. Boy, life sure flies by
old.gif
!!!

Hi everyone!

Thank you @Sylvester017 for your nice words about my video!

I am in Southern California and have been mostly posting over in the Niederrheiner thread, but wanted to come say hello.

I have 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Rocks, 1 Australorp, 2 Easter Eggers, and 3 French Black Copper Marans (1 is a white melanistic mutant) that are all 1 1/2 years old. I have a Bielefelder/Red Orpington cross that is three months old and a Bielefelder and two Niederrheiners that are two months old.

:^)

Hi everyone!

Thank you @Sylvester017 for your nice words about my video!

I am in Southern California and have been mostly posting over in the Niederrheiner thread, but wanted to come say hello.

I have 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Rocks, 1 Australorp, 2 Easter Eggers, and 3 French Black Copper Marans (1 is a white melanistic mutant) that are all 1 1/2 years old. I have a Bielefelder/Red Orpington cross that is three months old and a Bielefelder and two Niederrheiners that are two months old.

:^)

Hello back at ya! You have good breeds for our SoCal heatwaves - except you might find your EEs don't like the heat so much. My Ameraucana just sits under the mister all day long during heatwaves while all the other breeds are busy foraging and laying. I won't be trying any more blue-egg gene breeds - Ameraucana, Araucana, Cream Legbar, EE, Isbar, or any Olive Eggers. My friend re-homed her Amer, EEs, and OEs - not enough production for the feed they eat.

I am in the foothills area so I escape some of the heat that the valley floor experiences.

I have one Ameraucana (Blanca) who gives me a huge green egg four days in a row, takes a two day break, and starts up again - very consistent unless she is molting. She is all white feathered and fares well even in the heat. The other one is an Easter-egger (Mustard) and has beautiful sage-hen/grouse coloring and she lays great all fall, winter and spring but goes on hiatus during June, July, and August.

My French Black Copper Marans give me three eggs a week (each) but I love the dark brown eggs. They lay better in the winter, too.

Tell me your experience with the Cream Legbar - I was eyeing them for possibly next year but it sounds like I should rethink it. I'm also looking at Marraduna Basque and Exchequer Leghorn.

Well, to be honest, the list of breeds I want is huge...

Last edited:
I am in the foothills area so I escape some of the heat that the valley floor experiences.

I have one Ameraucana (Blanca) who gives me a huge green egg four days in a row, takes a two day break, and starts up again - very consistent unless she is molting. She is all white feathered and fares well even in the heat. The other one is an Easter-egger (Mustard) and has beautiful sage-hen/grouse coloring and she lays great all fall, winter and spring but goes on hiatus during June, July, and August.

My French Black Copper Marans give me three eggs a week (each) but I love the dark brown eggs. They lay better in the winter, too.

Tell me your experience with the Cream Legbar - I was eyeing them for possibly next year but it sounds like I should rethink it. I'm also looking at Marraduna Basque and Exchequer Leghorn.

Well, to be honest, the list of breeds I want is huge...

@Phage raises Creme Legbars you might chat with her ....

As with all chickens bloodlines vary.

deb

Back
Top Bottom