California-Southern

I have horrible luck hatching shipped Serama eggs. I had great luck with D'Uccle and Seabrights, but not the Seramas. They all came from the same place.

I do know that the D'Uccles I hatched were WAY tinier than my silkies. I had to keep them separate from my silkie babies because they got run over on a regular basis. They were 3 months old before I was comfortable putting them with my 3 week old babies that went outside.

Oh WOW!!! And I thought silkie babies were tiny!!!! Bantams are so adorable and perfect when you have limited space! I have only had bantam cochins and a silkie so far....But those Serma tails are to die for!!!! How about temperament? I love the Cochins because they are so sweet! My Silkie...sassy and very hyper...LOL

Any ideas to help this poor chicken. Just noticed this over the past few days.

14 week old EE
We don't have any roosters, she has always seemed to be one of our dominant birds, so I don't think the others are picking, only one spot, so likely not molting, maybe picking herself?

Overcrowding?
We have currently have 8 pullets from 12-14 weeks in a 60 sq foot run with free ranging most days. The coop is a little small, 15 sq feet. We are planning to reduce the flock to 4-6 once they start laying, but may need to do it sooner?

Heat stress/molting?

No other affected chickens so far.

Anyone know of a good chicken doc in north San Diego county? Chickens having some health problems & I also want to test their poop for cheap...
jumpy.gif
Would appreciate it. Thanks so much

Last edited:
Anyone know of a good chicken doc in north San Diego county? Chickens having some health problems & I also want to test their poop for cheap...
jumpy.gif
Would appreciate it. Thanks so much

you can do a fecal test online.... http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/fecal-flotation.html Or do it yourself if you have a microscope...

There is a vet in Blossom valley that saw my goat.... The vet there was kind and Had to do some quick on line research while he got her comfortable. and didnt charge me an arm and a leg.

http://www.eclap.org/

He probably can give you information on a lab to send a sample to... then how to collect it and store it.

deb

Well figures I can't find it after "cleaning" (read: jammed everything that was out into hidey holes) the house in a flurry (parents are coming over for 4th of July BBQ in 3...2..1...)

Here's at least a number to call:

Phone: (619) 694-2838
Fax: (619) 571-4268

San Diego County Veterinarian Office
Building 4, County Operations Center
5555 Overland Avenue
San Diego, CA 92123-1219

We were greeted by a nice big Rattlesnake when we parked the car in the garage just now. My 26 year old son is freaking because he has to put the trash out tonight. I told him to wear his boots and levis hed be fine.

It was a nice big adult about six feet long... tasting the vibrations of the garage door as it shut.... another reason to keep your garage doors shut this time of year.

dont put hands in places you cant see
dont allow piles of wood or stuff to create refuge

they arent a threat to chickens.

deb

Back
Top Bottom