California-Southern

Hi all,

Ok, we knew we were on borrowed time. I am in Simi. I am on 2 acres, yet I'm not zoned for farm animals. I have too many chickens. I got a letter from the state a while back telling us we had to get rid of all roosters - we did. Now we got another letter that states we have to get rid of ALL the chickens, unless I obtain a conditional overylay. They gave us until the 24th to remove them (9 days).

There is no way I am giving up my babies. We are going to look for someone outside the city limits that has some property we might be able to rent. I'll set up a couple of coops, with some fencing and take care of them remotely. I'll try for the overylay, and bring them home.

Has anyone else gotten this type of letter and have you had any luck fighting it?

Is that like a major use permitt? Id look into the county ordinances. Its Different for evey county and sometimes from city to city within that county.

Good luck.

deb

Is that like a major use permitt? Id look into the county ordinances. Its Different for evey county and sometimes from city to city within that county.

Good luck.

deb
I'm not sure - I looked at the ordinances before I got my first chicken. It's says only zones designated agricultural can have farm animals, unless you apply for a conditional overlay. I'm zoned medium density even though I'm on 2 acres, I'm SURROUNDED by medium density houses.

I've had chickens in this town for 10 years now, but I've only been at this house for 4. Never had approval to have them. Not sure who or if anyone complained. The conditional overlay is something you can apply for. It costs about $600 to file the application (non refundable). We tell them we want chickens and goats, or chickens and a cow - whatever we plan on having or might want - I was told by the city to ask for more than what I really want, because you have to go through it again to add something different. So once we file the application, the city sends out notices about my application to ALL MY NEIGHBORS within so many hundred feet. They set up a panel where all my neighbors can come object to my petition - I can respond to their objections. The panel then gets to "decide" whether to approve or disprove my application.

So, it all depends on my neighbors.....I sit above everyone, 3 different streets, 12 properties actually touch my lot. So, there is a chance that a LOT of people might object.

1st egg countdown!
I have 2 GSL that are 16.5 weeks. I'm not expecting anything for about another month, as no one has red combs, pelvic bones are still close together and no squatting, but it's still exciting to be nearing possible lay
1f603.png

I actually have a 16.5 week BA with larger red comb and wattles and 2 finger space at the pelvic bones. I also think she might be just starting to squat, but I understand that BAs usually lay later, so I'm not really expecting anything.

Still happy to be getting close-ish

1st egg countdown!
I have 2 GSL that are 16.5 weeks. I'm not expecting anything for about another month, as no one has red combs, pelvic bones are still close together and no squatting, but it's still exciting to be nearing possible lay
1f603.png

I actually have a 16.5 week BA with larger red comb and wattles and 2 finger space at the pelvic bones. I also think she might be just starting to squat, but I understand that BAs usually lay later, so I'm not really expecting anything.

Its eggciting to get the first egg! I have crested cream legbars in my incubator they will b at day 7 tonight. They cant hatch soon enough. Im debating what i want to hatch next.

I'm not sure - I looked at the ordinances before I got my first chicken. It's says only zones designated agricultural can have farm animals, unless you apply for a conditional overlay. I'm zoned medium density even though I'm on 2 acres, I'm SURROUNDED by medium density houses.

I've had chickens in this town for 10 years now, but I've only been at this house for 4. Never had approval to have them. Not sure who or if anyone complained. The conditional overlay is something you can apply for. It costs about $600 to file the application (non refundable). We tell them we want chickens and goats, or chickens and a cow - whatever we plan on having or might want - I was told by the city to ask for more than what I really want, because you have to go through it again to add something different. So once we file the application, the city sends out notices about my application to ALL MY NEIGHBORS within so many hundred feet. They set up a panel where all my neighbors can come object to my petition - I can respond to their objections. The panel then gets to "decide" whether to approve or disprove my application.

So, it all depends on my neighbors.....I sit above everyone, 3 different streets, 12 properties actually touch my lot. So, there is a chance that a LOT of people might object.

What a bummer! It sounds lke you have plenty of room to keep chickens and not be disruptive to your neighbors. So hopefully no one will object..or not enough people to sway the outcome?

@chickencrazy21 has a good suggestion if you have a good relationship with your neighbors....or they don't know you at all. I would think most people wouldn't object to your chickens if it is not creating a problem for them!

GOOD LUCK
hugs.gif
fl.gif
and keep us posted on the outcome!

1st egg countdown!
1f603.png

It is totally exciting to get that first egg...and it never gets old..LOL!!! Hopefully soon
big_smile.png

Here's hoping and praying you have good neighbors! My neighbors all know my 4 chickens are pets and neighbors having dogs themselves seems to make a difference about their attitude toward my "pets."

Just sending a feeler question out on everyone's take on wanting golden sebrite, quail feathered d'anvers chicks and rueon pekin mix ducklings. Gonna buy an incubator soon and give it a try on selling them in a couple of months.

Just sending a feeler question out on everyone's take on wanting golden sebrite, quail feathered d'anvers chicks and rueon pekin mix ducklings. Gonna buy an incubator soon and give it a try on selling them in a couple of months.

It might help if you put in your general location because this list covers from San Diego to the Mojave and further.

Good luck

deb

Back
Top Bottom