California-Southern

Nice job figuring how to use a slope to build on! I love to see wasted space used to excellent use. It probably still wouldn't hurt to tarp the roof if you get a heavy rain because wet birds can chill on a windy night and wet nestbox material can get moldy.
Yeah. I have roofs on my single pens.

All my aviaries are open to the elements.. And all my free range prefer the open trees to the shed I leave open for them.

Another open avaiary under the pepper tree.

Another aviary with "Lattice" type roof and shade cloth...

Some of my roofed pens on the hill (you can see the empty spot on the left where I put that new one).

There are some great coops everyone has! I have 3 different areas, with 4 different runs. The silkies have the worst of it. They were my first birds and they got an existing chainlink coop, up against a wall. We modified it to enclose and predator proof it better, then added a chainlink run, overlaid with hardware cloth, and covered with wire mesh.

The big girls all have a building to themselves with a run. An identical building across the concrete base is another building with 2 indoor sections, each with access to a separate run.

We have a gopher problem, so the two buildings share a concrete slab. It was supposed to be one big barn, but our city ordinances say, a building that size - even for a Barn, you need to pull permits and it has to have electricity and running water etc, which we have 1 water source for all 3 areas. By keeping them this size, we didn't have to pull permits - these are considered sheds.

The silkies are on the left and the adult big girls are in the first building, the bantams and small chicks on one side, and bigger teens on the other side share the second house. The bantams have a covered run, the teens and the adult birds have open runs. Birds from both open pens regularly fly out to wander the yard.

There are some great coops everyone has! I have 3 different areas, with 4 different runs. The silkies have the worst of it. They were my first birds and they got an existing chainlink coop, up against a wall. We modified it to enclose and predator proof it better, then added a chainlink run, overlaid with hardware cloth, and covered with wire mesh.

The big girls all have a building to themselves with a run. An identical building across the concrete base is another building with 2 indoor sections, each with access to a separate run.

We have a gopher problem, so the two buildings share a concrete slab. It was supposed to be one big barn, but our city ordinances say, a building that size - even for a Barn, you need to pull permits and it has to have electricity and running water etc, which we have 1 water source for all 3 areas. By keeping them this size, we didn't have to pull permits - these are considered sheds.

The silkies are on the left and the adult big girls are in the first building, the bantams and small chicks on one side, and bigger teens on the other side share the second house. The bantams have a covered run, the teens and the adult birds have open runs. Birds from both open pens regularly fly out to wander the yard.

It's a shame we have to get creative to outdo the permit authorities. They love to tell us what to do, don't they? Glad you figured out a way to have shelter for your birds. I love Silkies and wish yours had a little enclosed shed of their own too.

This was the coop for 5 years but we had to tarp it from sun and rain and wind. The chickens free-ranged and only used it for egg-laying and roosting for the night.

We finally got something a little more sturdy now.

yeah I like those wheel on the chicken tractor.

TY - The coop is so darn heavy we can't move it without the heavy-duty wheel package that lift off the ground when not in use. The only reason we got the wheels is when we need to move the coop for remodeling, painting the house, or to do repairs. The attached run detaches easily by removing large bolts and screws so that way just the coop needs to be rolled around. When we were remodeling the yard we had to move this coop around to 3 different locations while workers and equipment scurried about doing their work. Our backyard is very small so putting a stationary chicken pen away from our house into some large lot or pasture wasn't an option for us. We like the coop close to the kitchen sliding door so we can just walk out and gather eggs.

Hello to my BYC friends. Now that Long Beach has allowed us to have our girls and not hide, my law abiding self knows that our rooster must go. Anyone interested in the most loving and beautiful, tame Swedish Flower ROOSTER? My Olive turned into Oliver.... Please PM me. He has to go soon.

Hello to my BYC friends. Now that Long Beach has allowed us to have our girls and not hide, my law abiding self knows that our rooster must go. Anyone interested in the most loving and beautiful, tame Swedish Flower ROOSTER? My Olive turned into Oliver.... Please PM me. He has to go soon.

My "ilse" turned into an "ichabod" and we had to re-home him to a farm in Riverside County a couple years ago. Look into animal or chicken rescue in that county. Wes's Pets and Feed in El Monte take in purebred unwanted roos in their backroom to customers looking for pure roos. It's hard to re-home sweet roos in our city area so having Wes's helps a lot of us from having to process our boys. I don't mind processing a mean bird but hate to see the sweet ones go to the dinner table!

Back
Top Bottom