California-Southern

Wow that does suck. Did you just want a pulley for laying purposes? I read that bredas were originally meat birds.

Over the years I got tired of common egg layers or heavy dual-purpose breeds because of assertive/aggressive flock behaviors. We wanted the Breda pullet primarily because of its gentle nature to incorporate into our gentle non-combative breeds flock. Eggs are not a primary issue for only two of us. We've wasted over 6 months of waiting after special ordering not to mention the $100's in vet bills to bring the bird up to par health-wise. Very sweet breed but we can't have roos.

Well, this sucks! I waited 6 months for an identifiably sexed Breda "pullet" juvenile but our Ilse turned out an Ichabod when "she" crowed 9 days after arrival. We specifically stated we were willing to wait whatever time was necessary to be shipped a definite pullet and this is what we got! Breeders can't even tell the sexes of their own breeding stock. This guy was shipped at 41/2 months and they're supposed to be identifiable at 12 weeks. Now we've got to re-home him to Riverside where he'll have a forever home and not be someone's dinner! Poor guy arrived a bit underweight, with chewed off leg/toe feathers to the point of bleeding, had cocci, had round worms, and within a couple days showed signs of CRD so he cost another $110 in vet bills and lab tests. The breeder said they'll reimburse but not before giving us a hard time as if all those problems were our fault. Hey I've got the photos, vet bills, and dates to show he arrived this way! I deserve to be reimbursed just for the fact that we were sent a cockerel and not a pullet as ordered. We've plumped him up with health care and a good varied organic diet and he's getting hefty! He is a very fascinating breed - he's curious, looks into the camera lens, eats out of our hand, is unafraid, lets us pick him up and pet him - really delightful - now if only he was a pullet as ordered!

Wow that does suck. Did you just want a pulley for laying purposes? I read that bredas were originally meat birds.

Want to hear a funny? Found out eventually from the Breda breeder that our "pullet" got shipped to Florida and Florida's cockerel got shipped to us in California!!!
They are reimbursing by shipping a "pullet" at our shipping expense - still sucks and doesn't reimburse us for the $100's we spent on vet bills either but we really want a pullet.
The sweet guy we have now is going to his new forever home with our friend this weekend. Wish we could keep him but we aren't allowed roos. I get so attached to animals!

I have a Rottweiler/ shepherd mix who loves to chase birds in the yard. She is pretty well trained now, but it took a lot of effort on my part. I had her on a long leash and every time she gave those chickens a look of attack I would redirect her by pullling on the leash. It depends on the relationship that you and your dog have. I have learned a lot from Cesar Milan. He has a YouTube video on the dog and chickens. I don't recall the name of it but it's a very informative. It will just require a lot of work from you, But it is well worth it. To this day she protects the chickens when my friends or sons bring their dogs.

That is awesome! I will look up his video! My dog already killed 2 chicks a couple of months ago and I am fearful of what he will do if he ever gets another chance like that. We have kept him separated from the chickens but I am sure there will come a day that he will find a way to get to them if we don't train him soon. He is a very loving, sweet and obedient dog. I just wasn't sure what to do. Thanks for the info! We will definitely try that!

Want to hear a funny? Found out eventually from the Breda breeder that our "pullet" got shipped to Florida and Florida's cockerel got shipped to us in California!!!
They are reimbursing by shipping a "pullet" at our shipping expense - still sucks and doesn't reimburse us for the $100's we spent on vet bills either but we really want a pullet.
The sweet guy we have now is going to his new forever home with our friend this weekend. Wish we could keep him but we aren't allowed roos. I get so attached to animals!

IMO this isn't even close to making it up to you. You already paid shipping, not to mention all the other costs, for a bird that was not as advertised. I would expect them to at the minimum ship you the bird you ordered, at their expense. Or reimburse you for the purchase price and shipping. If they were ethical I'd also expect some level of vet bill reimbursement, but that is a grey area in my opinion, because they had no control over what bills were rung up, they may have opted to treat a different (cheaper) route, etc. But the purchase/shipping is a no brainer.

IMO this isn't even close to making it up to you. You already paid shipping, not to mention all the other costs, for a bird that was not as advertised. I would expect them to at the minimum ship you the bird you ordered, at their expense. Or reimburse you for the purchase price and shipping. If they were ethical I'd also expect some level of vet bill reimbursement, but that is a grey area in my opinion, because they had no control over what bills were rung up, they may have opted to treat a different (cheaper) route, etc. But the purchase/shipping is a no brainer.

Totally agree with you! But this was the best the breeder offered and I want my order! The breeder's cheaper way to treat their birds is questionable to me when they're shipped with cocci, round worms, pulled out leg/toe quills (there were no feathered feet on this bird the day it arrived), and then CRD symptoms developed from all the shipping stress and depressed immune system - these are not "gray" areas to reimburse for a bird shipped with this many health issues. No wonder the poor bird pecked himself raw. We plumped him up with vitamins, high protein organic seed mix, and other goodies in addition to treating him medically and he is starting to look like a proud tall cockerel now. He is going to my friend's home who rescues battery hens and unwanted roos.

I have a Rottweiler/ shepherd mix who loves to chase birds in the yard. She is pretty well trained now, but it took a lot of effort on my part. I had her on a long leash and every time she gave those chickens a look of attack I would redirect her by pullling on the leash. It depends on the relationship that you and your dog have. I have learned a lot from Cesar Milan. He has a YouTube video on the dog and chickens. I don't recall the name of it but it's a very informative. It will just require a lot of work from you, But it is well worth it. To this day she protects the chickens when my friends or sons bring their dogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Chick

That is awesome! I will look up his video! My dog already killed 2 chicks a couple of months ago and I am fearful of what he will do if he ever gets another chance like that. We have kept him separated from the chickens but I am sure there will come a day that he will find a way to get to them if we don't train him soon. He is a very loving, sweet and obedient dog. I just wasn't sure what to do. Thanks for the info! We will definitely try that!
Milan's methods are fantastic IF THEY WORK. My DD & SIL spent $1000's using his methods for the training of their 2 dogs but it didn't work. Without Milan actually taking the dogs to his facility to work on them further it was not possible for DD & SIL to be successful. They hired other trainers that actually came on the property to train and still nothing worked. One of the dogs was finally re-homed and the harder to train dog was kept because no one wanted it. Sometimes some breeds are just not cooperative. Even Milan has had dogs that were impossible to train and keep in the families and had to go to another environment or be kept permanently housed in his own property kennels. We only see Milan's success videos and seldom the failure videos. Usually problem-eating dogs don't re-train and sometimes they do. Just be prepared and don't trust dogs around chickens unless they are specifically bred/trained as flock guardians. There are some flock dogs that are used specifically for poultry and livestock. The family pet usually doesn't qualify but GL!.

Just remember, persistence pays off! Good luck and keep me posted! It'll be worth it. Make sure to watch when the dog lowers his/her head then correct that behavior.

I love Cesar Milan's philosophies. It's not the animal that needs the training, It's us. What kind of dog do you have? Is it a herder? I have two dogs, one is a Yorky and the other is a Rottweiler shepherd mix. Both are fantastic dogs and mind very well. It has taken a lot of work to break the behavior, but it truly is been well worth it ! Never take your eyes off your dog when the chickens are around! As Cesar would say" be the pack leader". Good luck and keep me posted!

I love Cesar Milan's philosophies. It's not the animal that needs the training, It's us. What kind of dog do you have? Is it a herder? I have two dogs, one is a Yorky and the other is a Rottweiler shepherd mix. Both are fantastic dogs and mind very well. It has taken a lot of work to break the behavior, but it truly is been well worth it ! Never take your eyes off your dog when the chickens are around! As Cesar would say" be the pack leader". Good luck and keep me posted!

I love Milan for general training. Lots of good stuff. But for severe problems his methods and the inhouse training methods did not work nor the outside hired trainers for DD & SIL - their dogs were pound rescued - a Pitbull mix and a Shepherd mix and both too old to break. The Pit is a loveable human pet but the breed focuses on another animal and all the training is out the window. The Shepherd mix was just hyper and probably had some personality disorders I've had 3 male Rotties from a breeder (not a fan of female dogs) and they are one of the most wonderful breeds we've ever had. A lot of brains in those huge skulls of theirs! One we had was just destined for obedience training and couldn't wait for the next command. We trained him to stop on a signal and never had him run out into the street even with another animal or dog he could see. But we started at 8 wks old with him and this breed was created originally for livestock herding. He had awards 2 yrs in a row. It was so sad to lose him. Hard to get Rotts to live past 10 yrs and they are so susceptible to Parvo in spite of vaccinating. All 3 Rotts were brothers from the same parental breeding and we bought one from each litter 3 yrs in a row. Human training helps but sometimes a breed is just what it is.

not a fan and not a hater of Cesar Milan... but thats just me... I liked him at first on the Animal planet shows... but just with all Clinicians he got involved in training "Tools"

these dont work with all dogs or all people out of all the success stories we never see the failures.

Some people should NOT have dogs ever. Just like some horse owners should NOT have horses because there is no innate common sense inthere to work with an animal according to the animals needs.

I am one who should never have Cats... I admit it. I dont have them any more.

Horse Whispering, Cat Whispering, dog Whispering.... Catch phrases... it simply means understanding the needs of the animal and meeting those needs. Sometimes it takes tough love... sometimes it means understanding the animal has been abused and will always be capable of flash backs just like people. The difference is the animal cant reason through it like people can and do.

we humans tend to Anthropomorphize our animals.... I am no different... we see and identify the traits as humanistic.

for instance: Chickens are naturally bullies and peck and pester each other to establish a pecking order... its their nature. The order of hierarchy is important for flock survival. Just with all prey animals Chickens , sheep, goats, horses.... etc. One or two of the group will stand watch while the rest feed or nap or... what ever.

That one guard will send out a call of alarm and the rest will either gather together or disperse or stand to face the predator. part of that pecking order training is for this....

There is far more to it all but it certainly cant be covered in a half hour video or a series of books and tapes and a special collar that does the trick.

I am going digest so wont be on very much... My nerves are shattered.... and I have a quick fuse... So I apologize. personal stuff...

deb

Back
Top Bottom