California-Southern

Hemet dennis---you bring the keg we'll bring the chicken and FOR SURE we can PAR-TAY on th3e 31st! uurp.....
yesss.gif
wee.gif
thumbsup.gif

Only one keg ? You guys aren't drinking ?

hu.gif

Hey all in So Cal! Riverside Here, Right near Lake Matthews. My 10 Hens (6 RIR an 4 BR) are giving me anywhere from 2 to 6 egs per day. not nearly what i wanted from them. Any one else having a low producion problem? They are on 18%lay mash, and free range my half acre all day. I dont know how old they are but i am thinking about replacingthe whole flock and getting 20 new Hens. Which raises the next question: whats the best price on starters? i work too much to keep up with little baby chicks and i dont want to lose the time of egg producion. OR are chicks pretty simple?

and to my previous, I ask because i am not sure if the low egg production in a weather realted issue or an age issue

In your case it is probably a toss-up weather/age. My birds have just started giving me eggs on a daily basis again....The weather, I know, is reeking havoc on their biological clocks.
How long have you had your girls?
Where did they come from?
Any guess to how old they are?
Molting at all?
Don't know the cost of starters..sorry......

COME to the meet-up in Norco on the 31st--you can get questions answered in person and get some birds too! There will be just about everything... you can bring some of your girls if you like too. :D

Hey all in So Cal! Riverside Here, Right near Lake Matthews. My 10 Hens (6 RIR an 4 BR) are giving me anywhere from 2 to 6 egs per day. not nearly what i wanted from them. Any one else having a low producion problem? They are on 18%lay mash, and free range my half acre all day. I dont know how old they are but i am thinking about replacingthe whole flock and getting 20 new Hens. Which raises the next question: whats the best price on starters? i work too much to keep up with little baby chicks and i dont want to lose the time of egg producion. OR are chicks pretty simple?

Mine free range all day and yesterday i found a nest of a dozen eggs the bad part is I found them with my lawn mower. LOL

So you may want to see if they are hiding some. Can you confine them in a big enough area for a few days ? How many hours of sunshine do you get ? I know the area and if you are on the wrong side of the hills they may start later.
I wouldn't replace them yet unless they are really old. replacements will cost 15 to 20 dollars each.
good luck

old.gif

I don't know much about chickens as I just started about a year ago. I have 9 hens, one is broody, one is under 6mth and the other 7 give me an egg a day. By 7:30am there are 5 eggs waiting for me and by 9am I get the other two. The only time they stopped laying was when I let them all go broody...once they stopped the broodiness, within a week or so they started laying again. Since I am not an egg eater I just hard boiled them and feed them back to them twice a day.

and to my previous, I ask because i am not sure if the low egg production in a weather realted issue or an age issue

Last edited:
Dennis......OUCH! What a crummy way of finding the eggs! I completely :barnie :he forgot about that part.duh.....those sneaky beasties LOVE to hide their eggs....so Bobbykiki the hunt begins!
But BOTH of youse guys MUST come to the meet-up...why....cuz I said so! :yesss: :fl :love

Back
Top Bottom