Call duck's first egg? Is this possible?

kimberly35042

Songster
11 Years
Oct 23, 2009
Central Alabama
I hatched 2 call ducks back on March 1. I had an "odd" egg on the yard this morning. Creamy white and fairly large. The runner ducks lay tinted eggs. Is it possible an 11 week old bantam duck laid an egg????? I haven't seen them mate although she had a nice flight halfway across the pond this week **lol** its a 1 acre pond so it was quite impressive I must say. And of course she was very proud and quacked LOUDLY at her feat.

This pic is about a month old. The male has a 95% green head now.

43389_dscn6405.jpg

Last edited:
hmmm -- that's interesting. I only have a pair of runners but this egg didn't look anything like what she normally lays. I have a broody mutt pekin but she's REALLY broody so doubt its hers. This little call duck pair are all sass and quack but only 11 to 12 weeks old.

Do you have calls? Do you happen to remember when they started laying?

one of my call girls laid her first egg at 5 months and only for about 1 month., my other girl was 11 months old with her first egg. I was told calls can be immature when it comes to their first egg laying
smile.png

Last edited:
That would certainly make more sense. I was thinking 5-6 months at the earliest. The little male seems to have some hormones going on though. He's being really mean to some runner ducklings I'm trying to get used to the the big pond. He literally vibrates as he struts toward them to chase them. I haven't noticed him being amorous toward his lady but they are inseparable and made for each other. Cute little sassy birds!

Aw, thank you. I have to say they have a ton of attitude for such little ducks. They are more interesting than the runners for sure!

There was the standard green tint egg this morning. I'm going with ducklover15 and say the runner got bored with color and laid a large whiteish egg! Always an adventure!

43389_dscn6193.jpg

Last edited:
They are beautifull, can't wait to see what colour my little ones are going to be.
68014_duck_eggs_hatch_159.jpg

68014_duck_eggs_hatch_148.jpg

68014_duck_eggs_hatch_168.jpg

They are call from these three.
68014_camera_pics_420.jpg

Ahh I need to stop looking at pictures. I want some calls now. But I cant, I have to many already!
hmm.png
kimberly35042 your welcome! missy 5 be sure to keep us posted on how they turn out.

Oh my! What pretty colors. Who is the drake in your pic?

Well, if we are sharing baby pics, here are these guys that were born on or about March 1st. My FIRST HATCH EVER!! And the eggs were delivered from NY to AL in a freak ice storm (in Alabama!)

43389_dscn6143.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom