Calling All Rooster Whisperers

Ruralhideaway

Crowing
6 Years
Sep 21, 2017
Upstate NY
My buff brahma cockerel lost his mind today. Very suddenly. He's 25 weeks. Had another cockerel injured last week by him(I think). But this!

Suddenly pecking the hens he doesn't want to mount on their heads HARD, trying to mount the rest very inappropriately. On the ramp, at dusk on the roosts. Stuff like that. Obnoxious. He's locked up right now because he just wouldn't quit tonight.

I have 16 pullets and 3 cockerels. Let's get that out of the way. I know about the ratios but expected losses with a cold fall shipping date. Didn't really think I'd keep everyone but they've been good until now. I'd hoped to get the separate runs finished and get the smaller girls segregated but tick tock I guess. Weather and now being sick has stopped all work.

Do you think he might calm down if he gets segregated for a bit? Or should I assume this guy isn't going to work out? The others were trying to get between him and the pullets tonight but he didn't even see them, just going over them to get the girls.

I know hormones are ugly but this was over the top. He's still fine with me and not fighting beyond that scrap last week. Opinions?

Testosterone toxicity strikes! Try separation, realizing that reintroducing him to the other cockerels might not go well either.
Is he actually a keeper? Or another boy you haven't decided about yet, or ready to move on?
Will he be better tomorrow, likely not. It's easier to raise cockerels with mature birds, although nothing works every time.
If he's a possible keeper, try separation for a while before reintroducing him. There's not a magic sure-thing solution.
Mary

Testosterone toxicity strikes! Try separation, realizing that reintroducing him to the other cockerels might not go well either.
Is he actually a keeper? Or another boy you haven't decided about yet, or ready to move on?
Will he be better tomorrow, likely not. It's easier to raise cockerels with mature birds, although nothing works every time.
If he's a possible keeper, try separation for a while before reintroducing him. There's not a magic sure-thing solution.
Mary
Thank you! He's been a nice enough boy thus far. He's not as pretty as the buff Brahma pullets but in general I have no real distinctive opinion on him. My other boys are bigger personalities and so far not psycho. So there's that.

I enjoy roos and have had many at once but they had much more free range time. Sadly they fed fox so I'm not doing that again. I'd hoped to keep him but I've been aware I might have to change my mind.

The others are a Cochin and Faverolles, they might not be awful to reintegrate. Then again if he's an aggressive sort they might just get trounced badly.

If keeping him separate doesn't drive me nuts maybe I'll just try to wait until the other runs are built.

Some roosters will tolerate a "buddy" and some won't. They just won't...no matter what you do. I guess this is what you call a Cocky Bas#?*!.LOL:idunno Good luck.
Exactly, the worst! :D

I don't know if he's even going to really fight with the others. There was a little spar the first day the Cochin crowed but all quiet since. Some of those pullets are just too small for him to be pinning down head down on the ramps. And his pecking is really bad. I'm used to the usual but this was really mean. Jerk.

My buff brahma cockerel lost his mind today. Very suddenly. He's 25 weeks. Had another cockerel injured last week by him(I think). But this!

Suddenly pecking the hens he doesn't want to mount on their heads HARD, trying to mount the rest very inappropriately. On the ramp, at dusk on the roosts. Stuff like that. Obnoxious. He's locked up right now because he just wouldn't quit tonight.

I have 16 pullets and 3 cockerels. Let's get that out of the way. I know about the ratios but expected losses with a cold fall shipping date. Didn't really think I'd keep everyone but they've been good until now. I'd hoped to get the separate runs finished and get the smaller girls segregated but tick tock I guess. Weather and now being sick has stopped all work.

Do you think he might calm down if he gets segregated for a bit? Or should I assume this guy isn't going to work out? The others were trying to get between him and the pullets tonight but he didn't even see them, just going over them to get the girls.

I know hormones are ugly but this was over the top. He's still fine with me and not fighting beyond that scrap last week. Opinions?
I like to try and wait out the terrible teens, most calm down when they mature. Especially if they have older roosters to keep them in line. That said, this summer I had three teens gang up on one of my favorite girls, an older red production hen. They broke her ribs and she died in my arms. Those bad boys got a one way ticket to freezer camp. I was so upset with them. The other young boys have learned their place. My two big guys train them well. Bad roosters go to freezer camp.

Back
Top Bottom