Calling all Silkie people. Please help evaluate my young silkie roo? Update page 5

JHorn91180

Songster
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
Northeast KY
Hi silkie people I just started a small silkie flock this past year. My son really likes them. I dont know much about showing just what I have read to look for and have no experience showing. I think it would be fun as a father son thing to do some shows and let my son show at least one of the silkies later this year. I have never attended one so dont want to show up at one of the shows just to b embarrassed or disapoint my son. Out of my last silkie hatch there was one that seemed a little better then the others. Again I dont know, but to me he might b a prospect for show. What I would like is to get honest opinions about this roo as far as to whether he has the potential to show well or not. Please to me he is just one of our pet silkies, not somthing I have been working on for years so u dont even have to sugar coat or b nice about your opinion of him. If he is pet quality just say so. I wont get offended at all. I would prefer honest opinions not people being nice. I dont expect the competition or the judges to b as nice about him. I would greatly appreciate the help.

K so I know its hard to do this by photos so I tried to get some of all angles. Keep in mind he is only a little over 3 months old. He hasnt filled out yet and he still has a lot of pin feathers in his crest so it should get bigger. His skin is blue he has 5 toes on each foot middle and outer toes r feathered. So far his comb is blue and walnut with no points but of couse he still has a bit of matureing to do. Oh yeah ears r white with a blue tint right now. Thats all I really know to look for and he is a roo for sure cause he has been crowing for a few weeks now.

Btw u r evaluateing the blue one. The black roo(I think) is just his hatch buddy I keep with him. Thanks

83289_img_0219.jpg

83289_img_0280.jpg

83289_img_0277.jpg

83289_img_0262.jpg

83289_img_0216.jpg

83289_img_0218.jpg

Last edited:
Are ya sure the blue is crowing & not the black behind it? If so, I have had silkie pullets crow until they laid their first egg, seriously! It is a little freaky. But I think your boy is a little girl, now the black is a boy.

Yes I am pos the blue one is the one crowing. I have seen him do it many times in the morning when I turn on the light. Wasnt sure about the black one i have never seen that one crow

IMG_2650.jpg

This is my blue hen - age is 29 weeks.

ETA: If it is indeed a roo, I say he is very handsome
smile.png
I would never have guessed it though.

Some hens DO crow.

Last edited:
Quote:
She is very pretty. I have some adult hens marked like that. I wasnt aware of silkie hens crowing. It flaps its wing pulls its head back and lets out a crow for sure. A friend of mine who raises silkies always sd he was a roo so I just assumed the crowimg confirmed it.

Quote:
She is very pretty. I have some adult hens marked like that. I wasnt aware of silkie hens crowing. It flaps its wing pulls its head back and lets out a crow for sure. A friend of mine who raises silkies always sd he was a roo so I just assumed the crowimg confirmed it.

IMG_2803.jpg

This is my silkie roo crowing.

Has he tried to mate anyone yet? I am just not convinced yet that it is a boy
tongue.png

I don't have a hen that crows, but it is not unheard of. How old is he?

Quote:

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad326/aoxa/IMG_2803.jpg
This is my silkie roo crowing.

Has he tried to mate anyone yet? I am just not convinced yet that it is a boy
tongue.png

I don't have a hen that crows, but it is not unheard of. How old is he?

He is a little over 3 months old. I would guess yours is a roo for sure with the feathers on the back of its head being a definate givaway. Mine isnt old enough to have rooster feathers yet

Looks like a hen to me ! :cdHow old is your son?, if he is young enough to join 4-H chicken club (if you have one in your area) they can help him show off your chicken. 4-H is a great thing to learn !!
clap.gif

I agree. It looks female. That lil mop of hers, all rounded out like that, makes me think female. The black one in the back does look like a boy with it's mop all spiky.
She could just be crowing because she is the dominant one. It happens.

Back
Top Bottom