Cameo question

zazouse

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Southeast texas
My cameo is out either a bronze hen or a black shouldered hen and a cameo peacock
Will all my male Chicks out of her still be Indian blue or could they be bronze or black shouldered instead?
Will all my female chicks out of her be just cameos like her
Also my girl is going to be molting soon by the looks of her feathers will she still lay eggs while the molt is going on?
I know some of my chickens stop laying when they are molting and some never stop even when they are naked

Cameo male x bronze hen = All male chicks will look Indiablue but genetically, they are 50%bronze and 50% cameo. Both Cameo and Bronze are recessive colors. All recessive colors need two copies of the same gene, one from the father and one from the mother to express visually.. Since cameo is also a sex linked color , all the female chicks from this pair will be cameos split bronze, Similar results with blackshoulder. hen also.

When trying to get cameo females, only the male needs to be cameo(all female offspring will be cameo), or split to cameo(50%of the female offspring will be cameo). Your cameo hen does not pass on her cameo colour to any female offspring. If she is in fact from a bronze mother, and she is bred to a bronze male, she will produce about 50% female bronze offspring.

In sex linked color, cameo, purple, peach, violette, and Taupe the female needs only one gene,( invariably comes from male ) to express. Why ???. It just happens in nature, we got to take it. and we did not create it. A sex lined hen can never be split to another sex linked color. No other non-sex linked color like Bronze, IB, Opal, Jade. Midnight, Charcoal, etc.. can mask this visual, except the presence of two white genes. Presence of two white genes will mask every other gene and combination of genes. On the other hand ,in Non-sex linked recessive colors, both male and female need to inherit two genes ( one from each parent) to express except Indiablue, Indiablue is the only dominant color in peafowl, so far, does not need two copies to express in both males and females. What Arbor said above is correct

Last edited:
In sex linked color, cameo, purple, peach, violette, and Taupe the female needs only one gene,( invariably comes from male ) to express. Why ???. It just happens in nature, we got to take it. and we did not create it. A sex lined hen can never be split to another sex linked color. No other non-sex linked color like Bronze, IB, Opal, Jade. Midnight, Charcoal, etc.. can mask this visual, except the presence of two white genes. Presence of two white genes will mask every other gene and combination of genes. On the other hand ,in Non-sex linked recessive colors, both male and female need to inherit two genes ( one from each parent) to express except Indiablue, Indiablue is the only dominant color in peafowl, so far, does not need two copies to express in both males and females. What Arbor said above is correct
So is it possible to get a cameo colored chick from my hen ?

The only way to get a cameo coloured chick from you cameo hen is to breed her to a cameo male or a male that is split to cameo. If you breed her to anything else you will not get any cameo coloured peafowl.

Back
Top Bottom