Camper coop! My family thinks I'm crazy!

gointothebirdsfarm

Free-Range Gal
May 2, 2020
Smalltown, West Virginia
So...now that I am almost on break from college I am going full speed ahead with moving my flock into a larger, safer space. I was going to use an old garden shed, but one of my friends suggested a camper. BRILLIANT. Its on wheels!!! No flatbed involved. Apparently people around here have campers sitting around that they want to get rid of, and I'm currently considering two, possibly three. One I am certain is too small, so that one is almost certainly out of the picture. The other is perfect, but needs a TON of gutting. And the third I've got to call and see if they are willing to give it away. If anyone has any suggestions for gutting , what kind of litter to put down, ventilation, or anything else I would love advice!!! Once I decide I wil post a picture of my latest project

Fun! I have a camper coop called Camp Cluck. My uncle gutted the whole thing so it was just an empty room to begin with. We put up roost bars from the doorway to the back end and the nest boxes and food/water area is at the front. We replaced all the windows with hardware cloth and plywood shutters and added an automatic door for the chickens. This summer I built a stationary coop but most of the hens actually prefer the camper 😂

Duckington Palace was an old pop-up camper with a free sign sitting on the side of the road. I couldn't get home to get the tow vehicle fast enough! I raised it up, gutted it, put a two by four upright in each corner, then sided with free galv. roofing from my neighbor. Built them a ramp, added a screen door and raised them from day one in it. It's now their permanent home. I'll get pictures tomorrow to add.

I would take someone with you who knows cars (unless you do) to make sure you arent getting a bigger problem than you want (I assume you will eventually want to move it). We looked at one and it ran fine but the seller wouldnt let us check the inside stuff so we skipped it - but maybe the inside stuff working doesnt matter for this. If you do expect any of the functions to work, make sure to check them too, unless you plan to re-wire/re-plum things yourself.

My trailer is basically non-functional except for the wheels and the jack thingy at the front. Since the lights, etc don’t work we don’t have license plates for it. That means if we ever move it has to go onto a large flatbed trailer. That’s something to consider too.
I know you can run trailer lights off your car battery, so I assume you can buy a light kit or something for it

Back
Top Bottom