Can’t tell if eggs are rotten or not.

Dec 29, 2019
This is my first time incubating chicken eggs and I’m really struggling in the candling aspect.​
I tried candling one my eggs today that’s on day 14 of incubation but couldn’t see anything except darkness and the air sack. The egg’s shell is blue, but I’m not completely sure that’s the problem. I candled an egg from our egg basket that has a blue shell and could see inside just fine. I do not smell anything when I open the incubator so I’m not sure if the egg is rotten or not. Im worried about leaving the egg in if it is rotten and I’m scared to take it out in case it’s not. What should I do? :fl :confused:

This is my first time incubating chicken eggs and I’m really struggling in the candling aspect.​
I tried candling one my eggs today that’s on day 14 of incubation but couldn’t see anything except darkness and the air sack. The egg’s shell is blue, but I’m not completely sure that’s the problem. I candled an egg from our egg basket that has a blue shell and could see inside just fine. I do not smell anything when I open the incubator so I’m not sure if the egg is rotten or not. Im worried about leaving the egg in if it is rotten and I’m scared to take it out in case it’s not. What should I do? :fl :confused:
Hi, take some photos of each egg you candle and we will help you determine which are good or not. It is better if the egg is dark inside and you can see the air sac as that means it’s fertile. Rotten eggs can destroy your hatch and it has happened to me when I was on a holiday.

Hi, take some photos of each egg you candle and we will help you determine which are good or not. It is better if the egg is dark inside and you can see the air sac as that means it’s fertile. Rotten eggs can destroy your hatch and it has happened to me when I was on a holiday.
Thanks for the info, I’ll try and send some pictures soon.

i never bother with candling. not a fan of the practice.
the egg will hatch or not.
in many years of hatching i have never had one explode in my incubator. i think it must take more than 28 days to work up the gasses to actually explode.
any bad eggs i have had in an incubator start to smell then sweat moisture. i discard them then. your nose will let you know if you have a bad egg.
i feel any extra unnecessary handling and fussing of hatching eggs just lessens hatchability.
good luck with your hatch!

I have GREAT news, I just candled the egg again to get some pictures and found the problem. The candler I was using is one built into the incubator right next to where it displays the temp. The light produced by the temp indicated is blue and when I covered it up I saw a moving chick inside. Thank you so much for your help.

I have GREAT news, I just candled the egg again to get some pictures and found the problem. The candler I was using is one built into the incubator right next to where it displays the temp. The light produced by the temp indicated is blue and when I covered it up I saw a moving chick inside. Thank you so much for your help.
:jumpy:bun:jumpy

That is great! Can’t wait for them to hatch!

Hello :)
I’ve had a bad smell in my incubator the entire time- like a week as I took them from the ducks once I found a dead chick. They had a little poo on them but I was afraid to wash them and remove the covering. Now I have this smell and I don’t know if it’s poo or a bad egg. Afraid to thro it out and I’ve had 7 hatch. What does it mean when you Black mottling on the inside- I can’t see anything when I candle it. I did see what looked like a beak but no movement.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom