Can any one help me with what this could be?

Amber.charlie

Chirping
Mar 20, 2018
Dorset, UK
B3D5C14B-4BEF-4156-8431-B6125C96FFBB.jpeg
Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone has any idea what this could be please?
For a few weeks she’s had this ‘sore’ on her breast. But I’ve just noticed something on her leg too.
She does seem rather thin aswell... or a lot more so than the other 7 hens we have.
But she’s he only one of 8 to have anything like this?

It could just be a pendulous crop that has rubbed the feathers off on the roost. Does it feel like her crop or is it a separate lump and if so what does it feel like?
It is hard to comment on her leg because the photos are too blurry.
I do see a lot of grain on the ground where she is standing. Feeding grain can cause a number of health issues if not severely limited. Do they have access to plenty of grit?

It could just be a pendulous crop that has rubbed the feathers off on the roost. Does it feel like her crop or is it a separate lump and if so what does it feel like?
It is hard to comment on her leg because the photos are too blurry.
I do see a lot of grain on the ground where she is standing. Feeding grain can cause a number of health issues if not severely limited. Do they have access to plenty of grit?
They free range, so plenty of access to grit. The are fed a mix of corn and layers pellets.
It feels just like bone... not swollen or anything anymore- although it at first did look a bit like a ball.. but that seems to have gone down now.
Thanks for replying.

For the health of your flock, I would cut the corn right back to less than 10% of their daily intake or cut it out altogether. The pellets are a complete feed that give them everything they need to be healthy and produce eggs with strong shells. Feeding them grains dilutes those nutrients which means they are not getting everything they need to produce eggs with quality shells and puts them at risk of obesity but can also lead to reproductive issues as well as fatty liver haemorrhagic syndrome. These ailments are slow to develop so you may not be aware of the problem until it is too late or difficult to reverse the damage..... just like us eating too many carbs... but because chickens are operating at a very high level of production, like a top level athlete, their diet plays a much more important role.

Does it feel like her spine. Some of mine with Marek's develop a contortion of their neck/spine that causes it to kink and push out in front like that. A close up of the growth on her leg might help. How old is she? Losing body stores (being thin with muscle wastage) can also be a sign of tumours and/or Marek's.

Alternatively she could have an impacted and pendulous crop.... you didn't mention if this is separate of her crop. That will also cause her to be thin as nutrients are not able to pass through her digestive tract. Oil and massage would be the first course of action with an impaction and access to only very mushy food with no grains or fibres, so she would need to be isolated in a dog crate or similar with no bedding other than newspaper or puppy pads and only have a thin watery mixture of pellets and feed with some Nettex Nutri Drops added and a teaspn of oil.... solid coconut oil works well and crop massage 3-4 times a day for 10 mins each time.

Ok, I never knew about the corn. I’ll just cut it out altogether. Thank you for that.
No it doesn’t actually seem to be on her crop, it’s more along side of it. She’s lost a lot of weight, and is noticeably smaller than the others, and almost scrawny looking. When I pick her up, there is no feel of fat/muscle she just feels like bones.
I’ll get a clearer picture of her leg tomorrow.
And a better picture of the sore on her front too, as I’m not an expert. I’ve just noticed that aside from
The sore she’s not been looking well the last couple weeks.
Thank you for all the help! :)

I suspect your hen could be rubbing her breast on the roost. Observe her at night time when she's asleep and you might be able to see the effected breast area in contact with the roost. As far as the foot swelling and then swelling going down, possibly gout. Gout is due to improper feed.
However if it were a breast blister with a swollen foot, I'd suspect Mycoplasma Synoviae (MS.) I dont believe this is the case in this instance.
Try putting an antibiotic ointment on the red area of her breast until healed, bag balm may help in lieu of antibiotic ointment.

@dawg53
I think the other area of concern is on the front of her thigh not her foot, but it is not clear on the photo.

@Amber.charlie
If you are sure it is not her crop, then it is more likely to be a tumour I'm afraid. Do you see her eating? If she is a pet and you have the funds, a veterinary visit might be in order but prepare yourself for the worst. If she has lost that much weight thy have sometimes gone too far. In the meantime get some Nettex Nutri Drops. They come in a little bottle in a box with a dropper and feed stores stock them. They are a poultry vitamin tonic and you can give her a few drops directly into her beak which may give her a boost. I would feed her a wet mash made with unmedicated chick crumbs which are higher in protein than layer pellets or try her with some scrambled egg until you get some. Only feed soft mushy food.

Back
Top Bottom