can chickens do a chicken head count?

cluckingheck

i wanna be a cowboy, baby ( HELL YEAH )
Jun 15, 2020
TyCo, West Virginia
Basically the title, haha. I’m wanting to know if chickens ( mainly roosters ) can notice when someone from the flock is missing and will go looking for them? My flock had their first encounter with cows yesterday ( the cows had their first encounter with chickens, likewise ) and they scattered when one of the heifers came over to investigate. Burt didn’t, though, as he’s the top roo and it looked like he was making sure all of the hens made it back behind the fence before he left himself. Though, he stopped and walked back towards the cows to look near the other end of the coop. I didn’t know what he was doing at the time ( I thought he was going to act the big, tough rooster and try to attack a cow ), but after he looked he ran back to the main flock.

i did a head count of everyone myself and saw one of the hens was missing, but soon she came running to join back up with everyone else. When the flock scattered, she didn’t go the same way everyone else did and ended up on the opposite end. Basically, I was wanting to know if Burt actually realized she wasn’t there and that’s why he went back to find/make sure she was okay. Or am I looking too far into it? Lol

EDIT: here’s the video

Last edited:
Some roosters I had/have seem to do some kind of headcount and look everywhere for the one(s) missing.

But some would only do so if the missing hen is one of their favourites.
oh man, the “only if it’s one of their favorites” part has me dying.

rex: hey, Burt, one of the hens are missing.
burt: oh shit, who is it?
r: i think it’s copper
b: oh. meh, she’ll be fine
r: no, wait, it’s reeses
b: HOLD ON, REESES, IM COMING TO SAVE YOU

Mine knows when someone's missing.I have 7. They were in pasture next door, when Randy and 3 girls came back, he got them to house, ran back to edge of pasture looking hard, then he started crowing. Consistently. 10 minutes later 2 girls showed up, he walked them to house, ran back to edge of pasture again, looking hard everywhere. He started crowing again, consistently. About 20 minutes later the last 2 showed up, he walked them to house and started pecking around the flower beds. Never even looked towards pasture again.

oh man, the “only if it’s one of their favorites” part has me dying.

rex: hey, Burt, one of the hens are missing.
burt: oh shit, who is it?
r: i think it’s copper
b: oh. meh, she’ll be fine
r: no, wait, it’s reeses
b: HOLD ON, REESES, IM COMING TO SAVE YOU

Copper (runs up from no where): I knew it! I knew she was your favorite!

Back
Top Bottom