May 29, 2019
Just wondering (as I watch the girls stuff themselves on their winter bedtime mash): can chickens eat too much feed? Are they like goldfish with no instinctual limit?

I always leave feed out free choice all day. Additionally, I supplement with small amounts of healthy treats (always less than 10% diet). This winter, in the late afternoon, before bed, I mix up a bowl of warm mash (feed + water and sometimes probiotics, herbs, and/or spices). I give them plenty to ensure the bottom rung girls get enough to eat. But they really eat it!

That has me wondering whether I should ration feed or if they will naturally cut themselves off. I can't imagine my girls cutting themselves off! I want them to be happy and healthy layers, and to prevent issues tied to obesity (while also ensuring they get the nutrients they need).

What are your thoughts? Does anyone ration feed?

Pictures for attention :love
20210123_154732-01.jpeg

20210124_141950.jpg

I supply my flock with feed all day too. Mine don't even finish the 2 small bowls. So I don't believe they can over eat. They know when they're full I'm pretty sure. If they foyage too(looks like they do from the picture) I suggest your doing great. As long as they have a feed supplement they will be good.
Thank you! I supervise free range them every day, weather permitting (too many predators and loose dogs around here). Usually 30 min - 1 hr, and wish I could do more! But they have a large run and keep themselves quite active in there.

No.
They are ravenous eaters but when fed a balanced food or appropriate percentages of protein, energy, fats, carbs, vitamins and minerals, they won't get the desire to overeat.
When the crop is empty, they are hungry. When it is full, they aren't.
This. Also don’t make my mistake. Two of my very healthy hungry roosters saw me open a bag of Purina Duck pellets and they jumped in the bag and gobbled some then drank their water. Those duck pellets expanded back up their throats and choked one rooster and I lost him. The pellets almost choked another rooster (whom I saved by holding him upside down and with my finger swiped the expanding food away from his windpipe.) I now feed only whole scratch in a bowl, but feed mash over a flat surface and withhold mash until it’s fully absorbed the liquid. And switched to Flockraiser which doesn’t expand as much.

Back
Top Bottom