Can Easter Egger chickens lay brown eggs ever?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cupman, May 30, 2012.

1. cupman

cupman Songster

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    This morning I let my hens out and I noticed one EE making a mad sprint off in a random direction. I figured she had a rogue nest in my yard so I followed her. I saw her crawl into this really deformed tree we have that has a nice cubby hole in the bottom.. perfect for laying eggs. She saw me and gave me the stare down so I left her alone. I checked the nest later and I found three brown eggs, no green. I've always had my suspicion that one of my EE's was laying brown because I only seemed to get one green egg every 3 or 4 days. Is this even possible?

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Crowing

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Absolutely. My girl Echo lays brown eggs, while my other 2 lay green and blue.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Certainly, because they are of mixed genetics. You'll find quite a few folks who are disappointed in their hatchery EE's brown eggs when they were expecting blue ones like an Ameraucana.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

You betcha.

5. BullChick

BullChick Enslaved by a Duckling

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Will you please add a photo. My eggs all look alike, but I am now certain my EE started laying last week (which makes me feel terrible for not celebrating it!) I need to have a 100% certainty that brown is brown. Like RIR, BROWN!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: