Can Easter Egger chickens lay brown eggs ever?

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
This morning I let my hens out and I noticed one EE making a mad sprint off in a random direction. I figured she had a rogue nest in my yard so I followed her. I saw her crawl into this really deformed tree we have that has a nice cubby hole in the bottom.. perfect for laying eggs. She saw me and gave me the stare down so I left her alone. I checked the nest later and I found three brown eggs, no green. I've always had my suspicion that one of my EE's was laying brown because I only seemed to get one green egg every 3 or 4 days. Is this even possible?

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Certainly, because they are of mixed genetics. You'll find quite a few folks who are disappointed in their hatchery EE's brown eggs when they were expecting blue ones like an Ameraucana.

BullChick

Enslaved by a Duckling
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Coffee shop
This morning I let my hens out and I noticed one EE making a mad sprint off in a random direction. I figured she had a rogue nest in my yard so I followed her. I saw her crawl into this really deformed tree we have that has a nice cubby hole in the bottom.. perfect for laying eggs. She saw me and gave me the stare down so I left her alone. I checked the nest later and I found three brown eggs, no green. I've always had my suspicion that one of my EE's was laying brown because I only seemed to get one green egg every 3 or 4 days. Is this even possible?
Will you please add a photo. My eggs all look alike, but I am now certain my EE started laying last week (which makes me feel terrible for not celebrating it!) I need to have a 100% certainty that brown is brown. Like RIR, BROWN!

Top Bottom