Can I build on frozen ground?

Sep 27, 2019
Massachusetts
I'm getting impatient to begin building my new coop. After much thought, I've decided to convert a resin shed into a coop under the shade of pine and beech trees. I will add proper ventilation, roosts, etc.

My questions -

1. The ground is still frozen. I'm planning on building a frame out of PT 2x4s and PT plywood for the shed to sit on, and the frame will sit on concrete blocks. The ground is fairly level, so I'm just going to use some gravel under the blocks to create a perfectly level base for the shed. Is it ok to do this while the ground is frozen? There is no digging I need to do, or maybe only 1/2" or so. My ground is sand so there's really no frost heave.

2. The town ordinance states that all coops must be 100' from neighbors houses. My neighbor has given me permission to put this coop closer than that, maybe about 80' from his house. This will allow the coop to be in the shade. He is a former farmer and there's a privacy fence, and he doesn't mind the noise of my 4 hens. Would you ignore the ordinance if your neighbor gave you written permission? He texted me this permission.

Thanks!

I'm getting impatient to begin building my new coop. After much thought, I've decided to convert a resin shed into a coop under the shade of pine and beech trees. I will add proper ventilation, roosts, etc.

My questions -

1. The ground is still frozen. I'm planning on building a frame out of PT 2x4s and PT plywood for the shed to sit on, and the frame will sit on concrete blocks. The ground is fairly level, so I'm just going to use some gravel under the blocks to create a perfectly level base for the shed. Is it ok to do this while the ground is frozen? There is no digging I need to do, or maybe only 1/2" or so. My ground is sand so there's really no frost heave.

2. The town ordinance states that all coops must be 100' from neighbors houses. My neighbor has given me permission to put this coop closer than that, maybe about 80' from his house. This will allow the coop to be in the shade. He is a former farmer and there's a privacy fence, and he doesn't mind the noise of my 4 hens. Would you ignore the ordinance if your neighbor gave you written permission? He texted me this permission.

Thanks!
If you have no real frost heave, why not just put down a level compacted bed of gravel to put the shed on?
Are you planning on installing a predator apron?
I would get the neighbors permission in writing and have him sign it bearing in mind that if he sells, the next owner may demand the coop be moved.
You can take your chances that Code Enforcement doesn't find out and try to make you move it later. You could then show that you had your neighbors consent to the location. Of course that would show that you knew all along that you were violating the ordinance!
I'd rather ask for forgiveness than permission in this case because you are placing the coop in an optimal position for the health of the birds with the neighbors consent.

If you have no real frost heave, why not just put down a level compacted bed of gravel to put the shed on?
I would rather have it elevated, at least a bit, because we can get a lot of snow. If it was sitting on gravel I'd have to do a really good job shoveling in front of the doors. If it's on a frame, it'll be maybe 6-8" above the ground. Of course, critters may like living under the shed base in that case...

My coop is on a 4x4 runner base frame. No critters getting under there as I've also have a 18" HC apron.

Not sure about your area, but here we can get a variance if the neighbor agrees. You might want to make a call to your building inspector, and see if the 100' setback can be reduced with neighbors ok. Don't need to give your name, just asking for info.

I would get the neighbors permission in writing and have him sign it bearing in mind that if he sells, the next owner may demand the coop be moved.

Yeah that'd be my concern. I suppose if he's been there a long time and seems to be in it for the long haul, then up to you to risk it. If push comes to shove the shed could be moved, with some effort...

It'd be unlikely that code enforcement would do anything without someone bringing it to their attention, unless you have county workers wandering through your yard like they do mine. :p

You can take your chances that Code Enforcement doesn't find out and try to make you move it later.
Good advice.......tho I doubt the neighbor as the authority to override the code laws.

You are likely to have frost heave and settlement regardless if you wait or not, but it will be more if built on frozen ground. A thin bed of gravel for leveling will not remain level for long.
At a minimum, i would dig down to below topsoil or at least 8". Place a 6" bed of compacted gravel under each block.
To avoid settlement, you must dig below frost depth, but for a small A-frame coop, getting below topsoil will reduce settling so long as you're ok with it not remaining perfectly level over time.
If you have heavy clay soils, they are some of the worst to build in and can move a lot.

As for the neighbors, definitely get their permission in writing. But that wont save you from the ordinance violation. No one will know or care about the violation unless a complaint is filed. I hope you have few enemies. It only takes one whistleblower. That being said, i would do it and let it ride sonce you are not building a permanent coop.

Back
Top Bottom