Can I separate the roost and the nest boxes?

bmfalk

Hatching
Mar 23, 2020
North Carolina
This may have been covered before, so forgive me. I am building a 16x8 covered coop/run that I plan to have at least a 4x8 roost/nest box area. My question is can I build two separate "roosts", one on each end of the house, and the chickens utilize the area for their intended purpose? Or do I combine the roost/nest area into one? I've attached a picture of the current setup. Framing/ roof completed yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_3253 (1).JPG
    IMG_3253 (1).JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 127
I’d utilize the space as well as I can and have one side a few nesting boxes (only like one to every three chickens ) then roosts on top that way you can also line the top of the boxes for easier cleaning ( where they roost they will poop a lot)

Ps but I’d personally put little roosts accross every corner , it takes up so space and they love to look out from the corners like that

This may have been covered before, so forgive me. I am building a 16x8 covered coop/run that I plan to have at least a 4x8 roost/nest box area. My question is can I build two separate "roosts", one on each end of the house, and the chickens utilize the area for their intended purpose? Or do I combine the roost/nest area into one? I've attached a picture of the current setup. Framing/ roof completed yesterday.
Nice start there!
How big is that?
How many birds do you plan on having?
I would keep the roosts and nests in the coop(space enclosed from weather and wind, but with ventilation).

Welcome to BYC! @bmfalk
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1584971447848.png

Nice start there!
How big is that?
How many birds do you plan on having?
I would keep the roosts and nests in the coop(space enclosed from weather and wind, but with ventilation).

Welcome to BYC! @bmfalk
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2059756

Thank you!
The space is 16' x 8'. Solid foundation in the front since it faces up a hill to stop water from getting in. I currently have 22 birds which I kind of just came into. I had 0 birds the day before that. So this sprung on a chicken coop/design and build within a week. They are in a temp coop I have setup for them in the meantime.

Thank you!
The space is 16' x 8'. Solid foundation in the front since it faces up a hill to stop water from getting in. I currently have 22 birds which I kind of just came into. I had 0 birds the day before that. So this sprung on a chicken coop/design and build within a week. They are in a temp coop I have setup for them in the meantime.
I'd go bigger than 4x8 for the coop.
You'll need 22 feet of roost length and 4-5 nests.
Lay it out on graph paper will probably save you some time in the long run.
Corner roosts are fine for out in the run, but not real efficient in coop.

Here's some tips on heights:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

It's a nice build but overall too small for the number of birds, assuming you keep all 22. 11x8 for the coop is closer to what you'd need (or 12x8 is a better use of material) and the run space should be a minimum of 220 sq ft, preferably more, unless you plan on mainly free ranging.

12 birds would fit in this build, if you bump the coop design to 6x8.

That’s why I told her to put in hen boxes and build a rooster accross the top of them to save space that will cover them for night time then a rooster accross the corners for day time

Thank you!
The space is 16' x 8'. Solid foundation in the front since it faces up a hill to stop water from getting in. I currently have 22 birds which I kind of just came into. I had 0 birds the day before that. So this sprung on a chicken coop/design and build within a week

Ok I just seen this
I’m sorry but in my opinion this is way to small for 22 chickens !!!!

Back
Top Bottom