Can I trust him yet?

We had a cockerel that we hatched out and he ALWAYS attacked my legs whenever i went near him when he was younger. Now he’s the sweetest boy as he’s a lot older and the other cockerels attack him. How serious are the attacks?
They are not serious right now because he has no spurs. (Injured elbow aside) But if he had 2 inch spurs, it could be a serious threat. My husband and I are the regulars around the barn, but if my teenagers wander out there (one of whom is very petite) or, God forbid, my toddler granddaughter comes to visit...I don't want them facing a threat that will traumatize them forever.

Maybe I'm being silly here, but I personally don't advise hurting them A scare is usually OK, but throwing large stones could cause lasting damage :) .
I was sitting on a stool holding one of my (pet) hens. I went to put her down and he lunged at my face. At that moment, I didn't care if the paver stone killed him. However, it did NOT kill him. And while I'm sure it bruised him up a bit, it didn't even seriously injure him.

I go by the rule that everyone get one drop kick free. After that they go either to a new home or the happy hunting ground. I had one that got three and he went to the happy hunting ground and another that got two and went to a new home where the folks didn't care but wanted an EE. My current Too hasn't gotten one yet.

Maybe I'm being silly here, but I personally don't advise hurting them A scare is usually OK, but throwing large stones could cause lasting damage :) .
Have you ever been attacked by a rooster SulkyBantam? I mean really attacked? There's no scaring them or training them hardheaded mean roosters and I dont have no tolerance for that! It's off with theyre head!

yall just need to get delawares. at least 2 females and 1 male is good. i got some once and they were all obsessed with getting attention. when they got full grown, they ended up being skittish but the rooster is literally the sweetest thing ever. he's pretty giant but is gentle. never once has he attacked me or even tried to. he will run over when a hen is upset but he just makes a noise and stands there watching. i can pick him up a lot with no problems (except scratching out of fear) but other than that he's great. on the other hand, we have this stupid little bantam silkie/sebright roo that attacks me every time i go out there. i usually end up throwing him cause he's so small but if i don't he will just keep trying to fight. tip: don't kick at angry roos or hit at them, it just makes it worst

yall just need to get delawares. at least 2 females and 1 male is good. i got some once and they were all obsessed with getting attention. when they got full grown, they ended up being skittish but the rooster is literally the sweetest thing ever. he's pretty giant but is gentle. never once has he attacked me or even tried to. he will run over when a hen is upset but he just makes a noise and stands there watching. i can pick him up a lot with no problems (except scratching out of fear) but other than that he's great. on the other hand, we have this stupid little bantam silkie/sebright roo that attacks me every time i go out there. i usually end up throwing him cause he's so small but if i don't he will just keep trying to fight. tip: don't kick at angry roos or hit at them, it just makes it worst

Unfortunately all breeds can have aggressive roosters (incl Delawares) .. just some breeds are more known to be docile, doesn't mean all roosters of those breeds are.

Back
Top Bottom