Can they hatch early??? (I GOT BABIES....Pics)

classroomducks

Songster
10 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Fort Worth, Tx
Today is day 23...I was candling with the last time with my students and talking about lockdown on wednesday. Upon candling, I was noticing that the air sacks seem really big...they have been fine up til now. But then I was noticing dark shadows in the airsacks that were moving...Could my babies be poking into the airsacks already? That would mean they are coming in the next day or so right? They are early then....?

41516_dscn0126.jpg

41516_dscn0125.jpg

and these things are moving...

The turner has been on...the humidity hasnt been up... what do i do? Lock down should be the 28...they are 5 days early...

Last edited:
I have had ducks hatch early before. I usually keep turning them. If I find that they are starting to hatch I just stop turning immediately. I have had Muscovies hatch at 28 days instead of 35 I have even turned them until I found them poking through the shell.

is that what it looks like though before they pip? This is my first time and I dont know exactly what im seeing in those pictures. The air sacks are either huge...or just non existent any more...Im getting kind of nervous and panicked...
hu.gif

They can be pushing on the air sac area for a few days before making an internal pip, and after an internal pip, could be a whole day before an external pip, and then from the external pip, can be 30 min to 48 hours to hatch.

If you are seeing pushing on the air sac, I'd say start lock down and let them go. I haven't done ducks, but know chicks start pushing around a few days early.

Classroomducks - Good luck! I've been watching what you are up to closely. My niece's class wants to hatch ducks in the spring and this may be how I get my first group.

Thanks...Im just so nervous! I cannot even tell you how many nights in these last two months Ive had dreams about ducks...or how many extra trips to the school just to make sure the temp/humidity was right. The problem is right now...i have no experience so I harldy know what it is im looking at. I just hope i dont screw it up...

I would go ahead and lock down now. I have had ducks show up a day or two early (a day or two late also). I have locked down a few days early before due to mixed hatch dates with no ill effects. If your temp was a little high it can cause them to hatch early.

Ok so today is day 25. I guess we are not coming early. They were wobbling all day yesterday. Gosh this wait is hard!
jumpy.gif
But since i did lockdown yesterday, I put in extra water and sponges to get the humidity up...i cannot seem to get it past 55-60% is this ok? Also the temp dropped and it has been at 97 stable...i keep turning up the temp, but it wont go up? Im not sure what to do...is that warm enough?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom