Can you put both chicken and duck eggs in same incubator?

When you say help them hatch are you meaning to help open the eggs after they have pipped? I tried that once with a chick egg after about 26 hours after first pip, it didn't end well :( What are your tips on helping them?...

When I incubate them together I have to choose which gets the lower hatch rate...

duck eggs need a bit higher humidity especially at hatch.

As a compromise I usually hatch them all like chickens and have to help the ducks hatch.

Should I start both eggs at the same time and run a divider down the middle? That way once the chicks hatch I can pull them out and then have a week for duck eggs to finish?
I don't know how much you know about duck eggs, but they are apparently slow to hatch. Ive seen stories of them taking 24+ hours from pip to hatch.
I would start them at the same time, so I can get the chickens out, and let the lazy hatching ducks ease their way out of their shells.

When you say help them hatch are you meaning to help open the eggs after they have pipped? I tried that once with a chick egg after about 26 hours after first pip, it didn't end well :( What are your tips on helping them?...
The biggest thing for chickens (and I assume ducks) is to make sure the yolk has been absorbed. There is a really good article on here about helping chickens hatch.
The main thing is patience, patience and more patience.
There are a couple people here that are really good at it. Ive killed as many chickens as I have "helped" by getting them out of the shell.
Most of the times that I "helped" they had not absorbed the yolk yet.

The duck eggs will likely pip first, but hatch last. After initial pip can still take 40+ hours. They are slow and lazy and rest alot, but they get started earlier, so it makes us feel like its taking for-ev-ah!

trying to get both ducks and chickens to hatch at the same time is best....

as to helping... my ducks often get a bit stuck and so need to be unstuck.. the membranes stick to their bodies so that they have trouble turning. As previously noted though by another poster, ducks are MUCH slower to pip and zip and hatch than chickens.
I have excellent results with helping the ducks hatch.

I however only hatch muscovy ducks, chickens both standard and bantam, and a few years ago I hatched quail for maybe 2 years.

I have heard that regular ducks are easier to hatch than muscovy. :confused:

My thoughts are to start the duck eggs a week before the chicken eggs and have them hatch out at the same time. Anyone have luck doing this? What are tips, advice, experiences..... I have had great hatch rates for chickens but I have eggs for both and would like to hatch both. Thank you for your time and advice!
Did you end up doing this? How did how did it work out? I’ve done this a few times to mixed results. I’m wondering if there’s a way I can get better hatch rate.

Did you end up doing this? How did how did it work out? I’ve done this a few times to mixed results. I’m wondering if there’s a way I can get better hatch rate.
This member hasn’t posted here in several years, so I doubt she will see this question. I’d suggest looking for other newer threads

Back
Top Bottom