Can You Put Wooden Cooking Utensils In The Dishwasher?

Here's a great link on caring for your wooden utensils: http://www.crafty-owl.com/wooden-kitchen-utensil-care.htm

(the
answer is: NO dishwasher)
smile.png

Last edited:
Yeah you can but not recommended. I used to do a lot of woodworking making wooden kitchen utensils as well as cutting boards. The thing about them is that they can be lightly washed and once they are dry they will actually dry out any bacteria. Supposedly a wood cutting board is safer to use than a plastic one for that reason. On the other hand, we toss our heavy, hand carved wooden spoons in the DW.

I wouldn't put expensive wood items in a dishwasher. Handmade items, nice wood bowls, my good rolling pin, that kind of thing. I'd never put anything laminated in there. I don't care about cheap wooden spoons. They still last years for me, even with going in the dishwasher. They're working spoons, not something fancy. I used to hand wash them, too. Now, I don't. I am bad.
wink.png

I really don't know anout the dishwasher thing.......I don't have one, but I do not see where it would harm them to much, the water is just hotter then if you wash by hand.

I don't put anything handmade in the dishwasher, or my fancy knives with wooden handles. But, I figure my $2.00 wooden spoons and spatulas aren't exactly heirlooms so I don't worry about them. They have still lasted for years.

I second whoever mentioned bamboo spoons, they are great. I also have some nice little bamboo spatula/scoopy things that I use all the time. I bought them on a whim, thinking "when the heck am I ever going to use these?", now they are my most used utensils.

I buy cheap wooden utensils at the Dollar Tree. Some of them I've had for YEARS. They all go in the dishwasher, I even add bleach with the detergent. At 3 utensils for $1, I figure I've gotten more than my money's worth!

I have two 20+ year old wooden spoons, I use them for soap-making so they get covered in lye. I wash all my soap-making equip. in the dishwasher, they've held up thus far, but I have noticed a little splintering. I wash normal food dishes etc. in the sink. Love my wooden kitchen items!

Back
Top Bottom