Cannablaism or mites

kookieoboe56

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 10, 2016
My nearly 2 year old Rhode Island red, has always been picked on because she is so much smaller. But now her neck is nearly bare of feathers and she is missing some feathers on her wings. I took her out of the run 2 nights ago.
I thought she might be being pecked to death. Are there other causes for this type of feather loss. How do I check for mites?
How long should I keep her out of coop with the rest of the hens?
She has been blu-coated, her water has pro-biotics and we are feeding her extra protien mealy worms and sunflower seeds.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you post a few pictures of her?
Do you have a rooster with her?

You can check for mites and or lice at night with a flashlight.

Is your flock getting enough protein? from what you described up there it sounded like they are, but feathers are a protein source that a hungry chicken might like. also, is there a rooster in your flock? He might be breeding aggressively, and that could cause feather loss. She might just also be molting. To check for mites, pick her up and search through her feathers. Look for mite eggs. If she has a beard, especially check through that. Good luck!

Is your flock getting enough protein? from what you described up there it sounded like they are, but feathers are a protein source that a hungry chicken might like.
Protein is a HIGHLY over rated cause of feather picking. In my research it actually ONLY has about 2% digestible protein. I suspect is way more often due to behavioral issues.

How long should I keep her out of coop with the rest of the hens?
Sorry your girl seems unwell. :hmm

Posting a pic if you can will help determine the truth. And most issues have tell tell signs.

Meal worms and sunflower seeds are a good treat. But they are LOADED in fat. If you wish to add protein, another source like canned tuna or mackerel might be an ideal. Left over meat from the dinner table. And scrambled eggs are also good options.

As indicated checking for lice or mites after dark is the best way. Reason is some parasites don't live on the birds and only come out to feed on them at night. Some mites are actually microscopic and you will never see them but only their evidence. Placing the bird with legs bent toward chest part the feathers near the vent and on the abdomen and look for things running away. Below the vent area part several location and look for egg sack at the base of the feathers. It just looks like clumped on dirt kinda...
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Regarding your gal being separated... she will play heck when you add her back if she is already picked on. She needs to be in sight of the flock so she stays part of the pecking order. If you have to you can put the ring leader into a temporary time out when you introduce her back.

Has your red molted before? How is your weather? What do you feed? How much space total for how many birds?

:fl

IMG_1687.jpg
IMG_1686.jpg
IMG_1683.jpg
IMG_1687.jpg
IMG_1686.jpg
IMG_1683.jpg
IMG_1687.jpg
IMG_1686.jpg
IMG_1683.jpg
Can you post a few pictures of her?
Do you have a rooster with her?

You can check for mites and or lice at night with a flashlight.
There is no rooster. We will check for mites tonight. Here are some photos.
Protein is a HIGHLY over rated cause of feather picking. In my research it actually ONLY has about 2% digestible protein. I suspect is way more often due to behavioral issues.

Posting a pic if you can will help determine the truth. And most issues have tell tell signs.

Meal worms and sunflower seeds are a good treat. But they are LOADED in fat. If you wish to add protein, another source like canned tuna or mackerel might be an ideal. Left over meat from the dinner table. And scrambled eggs are also good options.

As indicated checking for lice or mites after dark is the best way. Reason is some parasites don't live on the birds and only come out to feed on them at night. Some mites are actually microscopic and you will never see them but only their evidence. Placing the bird with legs bent toward chest part the feathers near the vent and on the abdomen and look for things running away. Below the vent area part several location and look for egg sack at the base of the feathers. It just looks like clumped on dirt kinda...

Regarding your gal being separated... she will play heck when you add her back if she is already picked on. She needs to be in sight of the flock so she stays part of the pecking order. If you have to you can put the ring leader into a temporary time out when you introduce her back.

Has your red molted before? How is your weather? What do you feed? How much space total for how many birds?

Is your flock getting enough protein? from what you described up there it sounded like they are, but feathers are a protein source that a hungry chicken might like. also, is there a rooster in your flock? He might be breeding aggressively, and that could cause feather loss. She might just also be molting. To check for mites, pick her up and search through her feathers. Look for mite eggs. If she has a beard, especially check through that. Good luck!

I will feed her some more protein and check for mite tonight. There are no roosters. The coop and run are quite larger. Larger than all the books say for 6 hens and there are 3 nesting boxes, twice as much roosting space. This very small girl (1/2 the size of the others) has always been overly vocal. I will try to get her in sight of the others after dark tonight.

Looks like bugs to me. Definitely NOT molting and and doesn't look like bullying is the CORE issue.

I would treat with Permethrin spray. It's safe, affordable, effective, SUPER easy to use, and no withdrawal time for eggs. I do it after dark so I don't have to chase anybody. A spritz below the vent, under each wing pit, and to the nape of the neck (head lice won't leave the head). Making sure feathers are parted and the spray gets to the skin. It comes in powder form, but spray is MUCH easier to use if you aren't in a freezing weather pattern. Permethrin is not considered effective against depluming mite or scaly leg mites, but those don't appear to be you issue.

I also spritz my lay boxes, roost, and walls if I want to combat mosquitoes or other landing pests since it is labeled for lots of stuff. I suspect you may find the lice nits under butt fluff. I would pick up the spray or other choice on the way home and not waste extra time checking... just check during the inspection that will be made during treatment.
she's not removing the feather shafts completely the feathers are there just still shafted
That's something I see and noted as an indicator to myself in birds with parasites specifically. :confused: They effect the follicle.

Back
Top Bottom