Can't believe I'm considering..anyone keep a Roo caged in the house?

I had a rooster once who was a total baby and would come to the front door every night scratching, jumping and screaming to get in. He slept in a play pen and waited on the play pen edge till someone went and got him to put outside in the day. That said, when he found interest in the girls outside, he eventually stopped coming in at night and stayed out with the rest and went to bed with them.

Happy Chick-do you have to keep fans on him in the garage?
I just want one roo. That's all. Surely I can set him up a spot in the garage. I wouldn't mind one in the house even. I was thinking I could just line a pan with newspapers and change it out simply in a matter of a minute or so. If I raise him from a baby-won't he be happy with all the individual attention? I can just see my kids watching cartoons with him on their lap. Is this insane??

Quote:
That would be pretty funny if you were kidding...

wink.png
wee.gif
<---- Bouncer I'm only kidding. I got the elastic for the stretch to start out with so they won't get hurt. These are chickens in training and i would never hurt them. I hope to train them like you would a dog. Take them for walks and such. They already beg like puppies. When they start fighting, i holler "knock it off" and they settle down for awhile.
hmm.png
After the halter/ leash, next come the diapers so they ride in the van with me when i go to town. Should be a blast!!!!!!!!
cool.png

Quote:
That would be pretty funny if you were kidding...

wink.png
wee.gif
<---- Bouncer I'm only kidding. I got the elastic for the stretch to start out with so they won't get hurt. These are chickens in training and i would never hurt them. I hope to train them like you would a dog. Take them for walks and such. They already beg like puppies. When they start fighting, i holler "knock it off" and they settle down for awhile.
hmm.png
After the halter/ leash, next come the diapers so they ride in the van with me when i go to town. Should be a blast!!!!!!!!
cool.png

That is hysterical... you should make a video!!

I've kept breeding pairs and trios of bantams in the house. I had no problems and they were quite happy. I have a 3x6' cage I made for guinea pigs so I just built up and now it also stands over 5' tall with various wire shelves that the poo just drops through to the bottom of the cage. Then I have several bird toys hanging in it and a suet feeder I put treats in. I also ordered chicken diapers in various sizes that would fit nearly all my bantams so they can wander around the house. The window has a blackout curtain to help keep roos from crowing too early. Then I used the daylight spectrum compact fluorescent strip light from my saltwater tank to provide them some extra light in to the evening hours. Right now I have 6 young seramas in there, 3 roos and 3 hens, until I get the bantam coop in the backyard built.

Quote:
Who knows? You could certainly try, if you're willing to make the effort. Personally, I would find it tiresome changing poop-covered papers under a chicken every day. Are we still talking about doing this for the benefit of the 7-year-old who really adores this bird? You just *might* have one of those rare roosters who actually enjoys being held & petted. I know they exist, but I think it has more to do with their inborn nature than with being conditioned with a lot of individual attention as a chick.

But there is the very real chance that as he grows & matures he'll want to be out fulfilling his rooster destiny and tolerate being held & petted less each day. You'll need to monitor your children when they're with him, a rooster can peck & flog & spur with little provocation, or when feeling threatened or frightened, and can do serious injury. Also, one bad interaction with a rooster could squelch any further interest your kids have in any chickens,

I wish you success whatever you decide, but IMO you'll have better results if you re-home the roo and focus the kids' attention on the hens you have.

edited for grammar

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunny Side Up-

We raised 6 chicks in a brooder in the house for about 5 weeks. The kids held them constantly and hand fed them. Now that we've moved them out to the coop, they have room to run from the kids but will still come to be hand-fed by them. Of course when they get close, the kids grab 'em. There is one exception. One of the d'uccle roos is pretty skittish around the kids. It stays away if at all possible. But two silkies and a cochin and a cuckoo marans all let us love on them like crazy. We just got 22 baies in various breeds and the Cochin was being really nasty to them trying to peck the crud out of them. When I finally got down on the ground with her to deal with the problem, she hopped up in my lap and just wanted to be held. She's SO JEALOUS of these babies!

As far as my seven year old and her roo-he also is a D'uccle. He's about as good natured as a pet can get...let's them cuddle him more than our puppy or cats! He is super NOT aggressive. It's just a very gentle breed. But...I am working on my daughter....Today I just gave her a bantam self blue Cochin as her own (hopefully a hen this time!) and she has named her "Chicken Little" as well. So, if I can find an awesome home for him where he doesn't get pecked to death because he is so sissy-I think my problem would be solved!

I have a Serama Rooster in my house right now. He is my newest addition. He will stay in my house for a while until he gets used to us and intil my DH finishes the Bantam coop. I don't see any problem with keeping a rooster in your home as a permanent thing. Lots of people keep birds in their homes such as parakeets and other birds who can be just a noisy as a rooster. I would not worry about it one bit and just go for it. Enjoy Him!!!
thumbsup.gif

Oh, one more thing to add. If he is gonna stay in your home in a cage you should probably get him a good sized one so he can move around a bit and stretch and not feel so confined.
smile.png

Last edited:
Ohhh, D'uccles are nice, very attractive and usually good-tempered. I can see why you're considering this. Still, I bet he'd be happier kept outdoors with some hens to live with, and it would be one less chicken chore for you to not have an indoor rooster. I wish you the best with your decision.

Back
Top Bottom