Cat litter in coop

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Songster
8 Years
Sep 24, 2011
Jacksonville N.C
I have clay cat litter in the bottom of my coop. It absorbes moisture ( so the poop dosen't smell) It is easy to scoop out with an cat litter scoop (or home made scoop) My chicken laied an egg right on the litter it didn't break
thumbsup.gif
I haven't sceen any scratches on my chickens feet. I haven't sceen this suggested yet so I thought I would just put it out there. me and my flock give it
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
D.gif
up

It sounds like a good idea. Do you mix pine shavings or anything in with it..or just straight Kitty Litter..

I don't think cat litter is a good choice of bedding, the chickens will consume it thinking its grit and eventually they will develop compacted crops. For this reason alone I would not even consider it at all for any sort of poultry.

However with that said...if your chickens are not consuming it and you are absolutely sure of that, and it is working for you, then props to you for finding something that will stay dry and cleaner than the rest of the stuff we all use, lol.

I am switching to granule wood chips in the next month for all my critters, I have heard some real good stuff on the wood chips :)

Keep us updated on how your method is going.

Ema

Mine is just cat litter. I haven't sceen them eating it I will keep an sharp eye out for it though. My food isn't in the coop, I use crumbles too. If it got really wet It would propably be an problem but so far I haven't ad any problems. :)Good luck on the wood chips, and Thanks for all the comments I'll keep an eye out
ep.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say at least a couple days, but really depends on how much, if any, the birds are eating. clay will bind together and cause the crop to get impacted. Flushing it with water might be next to impossible and might even drown the bird. Hopefully your birds will see the difference between crumbles and the litter and avoid pecking at it.

just watch your birds, you know them better than anyone else.

Ema

Back
Top Bottom