cat stuck in tree .. nope not a joke

Quote:
it's not a kitten, it's an adult cat. I don't think it's their duty to save cats out of trees. They do not have tree climbing equipment. This may sound harsh, but if the weather is warm, what about shooting the cat with a nice hard stream of water from a garden hose? Cats CAN get down. If it was a kitten it would be different. This is an adult cat though. Do this early in the day so that if does not work, he will have time to dry off. And he can lick his paws to get a drink of water. The only other alternative is to call a tree service company and that will not be cheap.

Here's another idea. Make a catch noose. Get a long piece of PVC pipe....long enough to reach the cat. Run a piece of rope down the inside of the pipe and let it hang out the other end. That loose end....secure it to the end of the pipe. Now feed enough rope though so that you have a loop. slip the loop over the cat's head and pull on the other end to tighten the noose up. Now drag him out of the tree by his neck. He will be held a safe distance from you by the pipe. This is basically the same as the animal control officer's "catch pole".

scratch'n'peck :

Actually if you were to call 911 they would probably connect you with animal control (I'm not sure the folk at 911 would regard this as an emergency despite the cat's dire situation).

Yes. They most likely wouldn't regard it as an emergency, but should definitely get you the contacts you need.
smile.png
Good luck with getting kitty to safety!!​

Quote:
it's not a kitten, it's an adult cat. I don't think it's their duty to save cats out of trees. They do not have tree climbing equipment. This may sound harsh, but if the weather is warm, what about shooting the cat with a nice hard stream of water from a garden hose? Cats CAN get down. If it was a kitten it would be different. This is an adult cat though. Do this early in the day so that if does not work, he will have time to dry off. And he can lick his paws to get a drink of water. The only other alternative is to call a tree service company and that will not be cheap.

Here's another idea. Make a catch noose. Get a long piece of PVC pipe....long enough to reach the cat. Run a piece of rope down the inside of the pipe and let it hang out the other end. That loose end....secure it to the end of the pipe. Now feed enough rope though so that you have a loop. slip the loop over the cat's head and pull on the other end to tighten the noose up. Now drag him out of the tree by his neck. He will be held a safe distance from you by the pipe. This is basically the same as the animal control officer's "catch pole".

Maybe -- just maybe -- animal control would be willing to inform the OP what their duty/willingness is to assist the cat . . . just maybe.

I called animal control.. they were supposed to have an officer call me back.. no call and now its 5:30 pm// so the cats up there another night..

the high pressure water sounds good.. dont know if I could get it to reach.? the noose is a great Idea but this cat is way on up there.

I wonder how long a cat can go without water? its still just crying and crying.. ahhhhh breaks my heart to be so helpless to help it...

keep the great ideas coming.. thanks so much
Pink

Any kids nearby who might have a super soaker water gun? Those things can be pumped up to a really high pressure, the stream might make it. And it works better if the hose doesn't reach that far.

Last edited:
Poor thing
sad.png
if you were close I'd climb up the tree, I love climbing trees. Maybe see if theres anyone in the area that would be willing to climb up? Harness equipment can be used if there isn't any lower branches to climb up.

Animal control or find a young teen boy who's willing to climb a tree. My son did this once for someone to get their cat out of the tree. I have also put food down at the bottom of the tree like tuna and he might come down for that. Good luck.
fl.gif
that someone will help the cat.

Quote:
i told my husband that the tree would be perfect for him to climb with his tree stand... and he looked at me ( he's not a cat person, or any animal person-- whole nother story) and he said 'no way its on Bills property. Im not crossing that fence".. shoot thought he would at least try it in the dark. he said he would if the tree was close to the property line and he could run back if bill started toward his barn.. ahhah... but the tree is a good 25 ft from out fence line.. Am I the only one that is surrounded by excuse me but Ass hole neighbors..

Maybe it will get so weak it will fall from the tree and I can nurse it back that way? now the birds are bombing it poor thing..

Some cats will fall from weakness (but if the fall is long, it may be seriously injured or dead upon impact. Some do die and decay is the trees though. Read a good idea where someone tied a weight on a rope, got the rope over a branch by the cat by throwing it, then used said rope to hoist a laundry basket up filled with wet food. The cat jumped in and was lowered. Some tree branch removal folks will also take cats down for a small fee, but the neighbor is an issue on that one. Depending on the temp where you are at, I hear cats usually last nine days tops in a tree. Why couldn't it have been treed in your yard?
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom